It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Exempt from MOT

Started by Johnathan Rees, Nov 17, 2023, 12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V5C Issue Date
09 Jul 2023
4 months 11 days ago

The sad thing is someone who knows no better might think its the the real article.

Craig T

Quote from: 2286 on Nov 20, 2023, 12:36 PMJust noticed this, I wonder why a series 3 that would now be exempt in its own right is on a s2 vin.

Chances are it wasn't tax exempt when that rule came into play. My friend has a 1976 series III and he had to wait another few years before he could claim tax exemption when they made it a 40 year rolling age thing. I think it was a fixed date when they first introduced the exemption, 1972 springs to mind so I'm sure many series III owners found a chassis plate for a scrap series 2 and simply swapped them over.

Personally I don't believe anyone ever swapped that many bits onto a series 2 chassis to make it look exactly like a series III. There are a lot of differences, the dashboard is just one obvious bit.

Unfortunately a nice series 3 has now lost its identity unless it is still hidden under many layers of paint on the chassis dumb iron.

Craig.

Peter Holden

Last change of V5 was 2023 I don't think that is when the identity was swapped there would be no point in  doing it now but 10 years ago S3s weren't old enough

Peter

Twomokes

The club saw a spate of these 8 screw restorations in the early noughties when people joined the club andwe had to explain the circumstances and differences.
The old days are the old days only because there're gone and won't be back.

Peter with regard to the recent issue of logbook, I was highlighting that someone has acquired the vehicle in the recent past not that this is when the s2 suddenly became an s3.

It could be someone oblivious to the detail, it could be someone offloading it.

I encountered a 90 this am OGU768D, check revealed that it was on this occasion a 2010 vehicle.

Most of the time a late vehicle sporting an early plate comes back with the id of the early vehicle, for tax and mot exemption purposes.

Craig I forgot that the tax exemption threshold was paused at 1972 for quite some years, prior to rolling exemption resuming coinciding with the mot exemption being brought forward from pre 1960 vehicles.

Dare I suggest that the folks who do the 8 screw restorations know exactly what they are doing and why, and those vehicles are not the ones that are doted on and kept in top safe running order.

Regarding the featured s3, if monetary gain was the motivation, it would be potentially be worth more as an s3 with s3 id as Craig intimated.

GVO418J r.i.p.

Slightly off topic, but it is strange for us oldies who lived through it that, prior to the formation of the S2C [though that is not really relevant] and prior to even a thought of tax and mot exemption, the main problem with landrovers was putting a newer identity on an older vehicle.

This was not limited to landrovers and originally was not outlawed.-- Cannot recall when it became a specific offense.

The only thing that had been done to my 70 2a in an attempt to make it look younger than its years was-

Squashed plus wire grille substituted for an s3 plastic item, no I did not do it and no I dont have the original, its long gone.

Side body tapes as per county from circa 1982.

Innocent and harmless bit to try and look younger.

Worf

I remember, many years ago, when I took an old banger for a test the guy would ask "you're not selling it, are you?" As long as you answered "no" a pass miraculously appeared.
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an appen nob'dy 'll notice."

simonbav

Quote from: 2286 on Nov 20, 2023, 12:31 PMCould be a can of worms there 602, its not just trade that can play tricks.

Speaking of which going back it used to be possible to present a vehicle with non expired mot and have a fresh one applied resulting in 13months test, or have I imagined that.

Yes, I remember that 2286, certainly into the 1990's
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Wittsend

I don't think that has changed.

You can present a vehicle for an MoT test up to a month before the current MoT certificate expires. If the car passes you get a new certificate dated from when the "old" certificate expires. This, in effect you now have a 13 month MoT.
I've been doing this for years.

This gives you peace-of-mind that you have an MoT pass rather than, as so many do, book the test a few day before the expiry and then things go wrong and the vehicle needs work and the garage can't book it in till next week - thus you could be driving round with no MoT until the vehicle is fixed  :shakinghead

I don't see this as a "fiddle" it's being prudent and planning ahead.
It's been an option for owners for years.

Oddjob

The downside of going in early nowadays is that the mot result is all online. If it fails you're off the road a month earlier (which is probably a good thing for safety). In the old days you showed the policeman your still valid paper mot rather than the paper fail sheet.

:cheers-man

Old Hywel

Your old MOT would still be valid, even if an early renewal failed. It's between you and your conscience whether you drive it.

w3526602

You can present a vehicle for an MoT test up to a month before the current MoT certificate expires.

Hi Alan,

Surely you mean that you can present your car for an MOT at ANY time, but it is to your "administrative" advantage to present it up to a month before the old MOT expires?

If we lived a society that operated on "decimal" years, life would be easier if the renewal cycle was every 100 day? Or every 1000 days?

DVLA worked/works on the Julian Calandar. If you look at your driving licence, or vehicle documents, you will see a long Document Number (memory days about 13 characters long). The first character is the final character of the year of "issue" (or whatever) of that document, so this year (2013) it will be a 3. The next three characters will be between (and inclusive) 001 (January 1st), and 365 (31st December) except on leap years, when it will be 366.

It does not help, when the computer will only accept 29th February in a leap year, and the Licence Holder can produce a Birth Certificate showing he was born on the 29th, NOT in a Leap Year.  NO WAY was the Computer going to accept that date.

I understand that the "Boffins" changed the date to something (anything?) acceptable, and requested the licence to be "posted" to them, internally. As the faulty DATE had been accepted, it would never go through that check again, so they were able to change it manually to the impossible date. Everybody happy .... until it hits somebody else's computer.

PS. It was quite common for Applicants to enter THIS year's date into the DOB field. The computer would assume they were 100 years old, and (I think) issue an Age Restricted licence ... to be renewed every 3 years.

PPS. You will have noticed that you have to declare your sex (should that be "gender"?) when it is obvious from the Mrs and Miss on your application. (Men do not/did not need to show their "title") The problem is that some Titles, such as Doctor, or Reverend, are asexual. Women's Dates of Birth are jumbled in their Driver Number (somebody at DVLC, at the planning stage, was an old fashioned gentleman.) Yes, Women'Dates of Birth are (were) shown in clear, but in a corner that was designed to be cut off.

Birdsnest55

Quote from: Old Hywel on Nov 22, 2023, 12:06 AMYour old MOT would still be valid, even if an early renewal failed. It's between you and your conscience whether you drive it.

This only true on a minor fail, major fails stop you from driving on the road.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

More from the archive that may or may not still be in play.

Vosa or whatever it is badged as at present.  They used to have a focus on oil and fuel dropped particularly by hgv that became a hazard to motorcycle and cycles.

They had the drip test, where a target of set area was placed under the vehicle and you were allowed so many drips of a set volume in a prescribed time.

The other thing that was a regular was GV9 where a vehicle stopped on the highway and inspected roadside could have its mot revoked on the spot, for offences again including oil leaks from gearbox or axle.  That was a visual not a drip test.