News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Best All round Tyres

Started by Jonpmcgowan, Jul 11, 2023, 11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonpmcgowan

Wondering if anyone has advice and experience with what the best rim and tyre combinations are for everyday use on the S2?

GlenAnderson

Oh, here comes a different opinion for every poster. 🤣

It depends on your use of the vehicle.

Personally, I run General Grabber TR in 235/85R16 flavour. They are a good all-seasons style tyre, with very good road manners, quiet running, decent economy and a long life. Not useless off road, but not as good as a more dual purpose tyre, and definitely not as good as a dedicated mud plugger.

The only firm advice I'd give is to avoid crossplies and get radials.

I'd also, personally, recommend the wider Series 3 LWB rims, with their greater offset. It's also worth considering tubeless rims if you're looking for new wheels too.

Alan Drover

For a good heavy duty pothole proof wheel you can't beat Wolf wheels and they're tubeless.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Birdsnest55

Alan not all wolf rims are Tubeless, the early ones need tubes.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

Alan Drover

Thanks Paul, didn't know that.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Birdsnest55

I have 6 rims, 4 tubed and 2 tubless, that's how I know, I was shocked to find tubes in them, I is actually stamped on the rims when I looked. Different part number. I will try to put them on here later.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

Peter Holden

I run 7.50 R16 Goodyear Wranglers on LWB rims on my SWB, they work well for me but they havent been made for a while.

Peter

Crumbly65

Quote from: GlenAnderson on Jul 12, 2023, 12:39 AMOh, here comes a different opinion for every poster. 🤣

It depends on your use of the vehicle.

Personally, I run General Grabber TR in 235/85R16 flavour. They are a good all-seasons style tyre, with very good road manners, quiet running, decent economy and a long life. Not useless off road, but not as good as a more dual purpose tyre, and definitely not as good as a dedicated mud plugger.

The only firm advice I'd give is to avoid crossplies and get radials.

:ditto I've always ran on General Grabber AT's for the 22 years I've owned my S2.  Excellent on road, pretty good off-road, reasonably quiet and long-lasting. Not the cheapest, but certainly one of the best.

Mycroft

All subjective of course. Apart from the correct answer, which doctors, dentists and architects agree is Avon Rangers (or the newer Rangemasters) 7.50 R16s  ;)
1964 88" Canvas Top ACR Petrol
1979 88" Truck cab Petrol Series III

Peter Holden

If you can find them.  I undrstand they are not being made at the moment

Peter

diffwhine

When I was working with Land Rover, Rangemasters were the standard OEM fit with upgrade options of Michelin ZXYs, XCLs and so on. I was never a great fan of Rangemasters to be honest. In LR they were also known as Avon "Ditchfinders".

I speak from experience - many's the ditch I've found thanks to those tyres...
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Mycroft

Quote from: Peter Holden on Jul 12, 2023, 11:47 AMIf you can find them.  I undrstand they are not being made at the moment

Peter

Sadly you're right. Still listed on the Avon and Blackcircles sites and showing as in stock across the country, but they don't appear to be manufacturing right now. I wonder whether it's a pause or a full stop.
1964 88" Canvas Top ACR Petrol
1979 88" Truck cab Petrol Series III

Wittsend

Well, I quite like my Avon Rangemasters ...I'm on my second set now.

Never ended up in a ditch, but then I don't drive like Lewis Hamilton.
A good budget tyre - if you can find them.

:cool

Ironchicken64

I am still tyre shopping, sadly the Rangemasters don't seem to be available like previously mentioned and that would have been my preferred choice.   

diffwhine

Mycroft - my days of driving like Lewis Hamilton never really materialised!

In the wet and under test conditions, Rangemasters and the Dunlop equivalent (still fitted to 70 Series Land Cruisers), were not great on permanent 4WD vehicles. Full time 4WD tends to make the vehicle prone to better steering centring and reluctance to corner - hence the Ditchfinder nickname. I've never had them on a 2WD vehicle like a Series LR, so maybe they are friendlier or just less power is going to the corners.

Avon closed the plant near here recently, which explains why there is no supply. No idea where people are getting Avon TMs from these days, but they must be heading the same way.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon