News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Best All round Tyres

Started by Jonpmcgowan, Jul 11, 2023, 11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Holden

At least they are better than bar grips Mark, they really are fun in the wet especially on an 80"

Peter

Big-Chris

Use to have a bit of a wheel tyre fetish a few years ago, I'm over it now I think  :thud only have a few spare sets left!! I've had just about every combination there is, if you want the best all rounder set up.... BFG AT's 235.85.16's on Wolf 6.5" tubeless rims although may look a bit modern on ya series so depending on the appearance you are looking for? If you want a more stock traditional look then either standard 5.5" LWB wheels (tubed) or defender 5.5" tubeless wheels fitted with Michelin XZL 7.50's.. about the best all rounder tyre ever made, built for the military but still available new from many tyre outlets because they are that good.. but both options are not cheap, but you didn't ask that!! You get what you pay for... I have mixed views on Rangemasters, they look perfect on any series wagon, like they grew there, it's an old design and fitted to old cars that are not speed machines so should be driven with this in mind and then they are the perfect choice, they do get hard as they age though! Most modern design tyres these days start to crack after 4 years  :shakinghead
I also run everything tubeless these days...

Series2ajosh

I'm a big fan of the Michelin xzl 7.50, looks right at home on a series, has great road manners and doesn't try and kill you the moment the clouds leak a little, however not so much of a fan of the price, as like everything, post covid have shot up in price! Find a set of later defender tubeless wheels and that's a match made in heaven, (the xzl can be run either tubed or tubeless) as its very difficult nowadays to find a tyre fitter that even knows what an inner tube looks like, let alone having to source and fit one!

Beowulf

For everyday use you should first decide what look you want. A modern or a period to the vehicle age look and then go from there, while considering all of the experience posted above.

I have 235/85/16 General Grabber AT2`s on my Wolf and they are excellent. Equally at home on demanding Green Lanes, Motorways and B roads. However, I've no experience of using them on a SII, I just wonder if the absence of power steering would make the steering too heavy  ???
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

ChiefBeard

I had swearing was off on here?
I've been known to be brought to tears by the mere thought of W**fs and/or E*g*t-spokes. I have my self-respect.

Getting sillier in the pocket every time I look, yet if it's 6 1/2J you want, and they do look 'right' it's a set of ANR1534 & Michelin XZL.

Leaves everything looking - factory.

chipbury

I love my XZL's.

I had a near miss with someone cutting out in front of me with no brake lights and I came to a sensible halt without much skidding on a wet downhill slope, so they do grip well!

ChiefBeard

^^ Yup, the boy's LWT looks 'right'. ^^.
Don't know if what I see is right, only it 'looks' like it is. Which is the point.

It's very subjective and only my opinion, and others will disagree, yet something about wheel-swaps changes the character of a vehicle? Often it takes a second for it to be clear what's happened?

matada34

I have a 1960 SWB with LWB tubed rimes and 7.50 xzl's.

They are great on road and off, cant fault them, however I do feel they are a bit big if going for a 'period' look.

I went round the block looking at other combos, as other say LWB rims with tubes or defender tubeless are nice, and I think the 205/80/16 tyre is slightly smaller than the 7.50 but not as small as what goes on the SWB rim.
The issue comes (i think) when you have a LWB tubed rim with a new 205/80/16 which is tubeless (and not meant to have tubes).

I have seen some XZL's which are 205/80/16's these would go nice on the LWB rims, not sure if they are tubeless or not.

Quote from: diffwhine on Jul 12, 2023, 11:49 AMWhen I was working with Land Rover, Rangemasters were the standard OEM fit with upgrade options of Michelin ZXYs, XCLs and so on. I was never a great fan of Rangemasters to be honest. In LR they were also known as Avon "Ditchfinders".

I speak from experience - many's the ditch I've found thanks to those tyres...

DW that avon quote has made me giggle.

Re original post, starting point would  be budget, intended usage and vehicle fitment.

Many of the big brands own lesser known labels.

I used to be a tyre snob but would take heed from those who have good experience with newcomers and unknowns.

BF goodrich used to have it sewn up with a comfortable durable tyre for specific or the now defunct at for all round.

They had a road biased tyre called the long trail that was more light truck.

Michelin as mention had the xcl for plugging and sand then xzl was more at then latitude road bias of late.

Avons have a tendency in my experience to go a little shiny, which may account for dw comment.

Coopers found favour with the big boot fanciers.

There are no cheap and cheerfuls as per days of old, even remoulds are strong money.

Ex mod yards can represent value, but if buying used tyres watch condition and date stamps.

If applicable mot testers will fail for age cracking.

kumo and hankook I have found to be very good in haulage and car not sure what they offer in land rover sizes.

are firestone sat and sags now extinct, I know there are imitators.

Uffddd

Just had a set of Toto MT open country tyres put on my 109. Pretty reasonable at £110 each.

The chap who sold and fitted them for me said Rangemasters would be available again in September.

sheepman

On my 88" I have wranglers on standard rims and have been fine on and off road.