News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Series 2 Block Heater and other queries!

Started by Telemuhcaster, Jul 13, 2023, 09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telemuhcaster

Hello chaps and chapettes, hope you're all well.

I've recently purchased a series 2 from a local chap whose uncle had it stored in a barn for the past 30 odd years.

I'm sorting some things out with it now, it has got a bunch of extra things that I have questions about.

It has a block heater, a small battery trickle charger and door cards.

My questions are.

1) are they all optional Land Rover extras?
2) does anybody know what kind of plug the block heater uses is called?
3) does anybody have experience of these battery chargers?

All the best!

diffwhine

Your block heater was a rare option. I've not seen one in the flesh for donkey's years. I'd probably consider getting it electrically tested before considering using it, but a great original option if it still works. The plug looks like one of those old kettle plugs!
The door trim cards were also an option - a sort of deluxe interior like as was fitted to Station Wagons. Nice to have in any condition.
Battery charger - I'm not sure about that. Looks more like an after market accessory, but again, I'd get it tested. You might also want to check the charge rate and charge voltage if using a modern battery.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

autorover1

I have one of those heaters  in my Rover P6 car and did have one in a 2 litre diesel . The connector is indeed an old style kettle plug . It quite a low power device designed to be left on overnight in cold weather , and just takes the chill off. Manufacturer was Bray . I have the fitting instructions somewhere.
Pic off ebay just now

Telemuhcaster

Quote from: diffwhine on Jul 13, 2023, 09:06 AMYour block heater was a rare option. I've not seen one in the flesh for donkey's years. I'd probably consider getting it electrically tested before considering using it, but a great original option if it still works. The plug looks like one of those old kettle plugs!
The door trim cards were also an option - a sort of deluxe interior like as was fitted to Station Wagons. Nice to have in any condition.
Battery charger - I'm not sure about that. Looks more like an after market accessory, but again, I'd get it tested. You might also want to check the charge rate and charge voltage if using a modern battery.

Would you find it strange to have it on a 2.25 petrol? I mean, would it really need one? (A block heater that is)

diffwhine

In this country - yes - seems a bit of a luxury better suited to an early diesel. I've only ever seen this fitted to diesels. I know that ones sold to Yugoslavia often had it. Having lived in Sarajevo where especially in the surrounding mountains, it often went down below -20 degrees C, I can see the advantage!

autorover1

Would you find it strange to have it on a 2.25 petrol? I mean, would it really need one? (A block heater that is)
[/quote]
Batteries in the 1960's were not as good as they are now and often struggled even on petrols in very cold weather .  They are still fitted in places such as Scandinavian countries & North America

diffwhine

Lovely bit of original kit though. Its the sort of thing I'd want just for the sake of it.

Birdsnest55

The diesel engine I sold a certain young man from Bradford had the heater fitted.
It came out of a vehicle that was used on an airport most of it's life, I presume if it was used, the engine would have less wear due to no cold starts.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

Telemuhcaster

I've also found the original workshop manuals, are these rare to find?

diffwhine

Definitely useful. Quite a few copies out there, but a hard copy is well worth having. Keep them with the vehicle docs - again a nice have.

Exile

Block heaters and lined doors sound very like Canadian spec.

Telemuhcaster

Quote from: Exile on Jul 13, 2023, 07:58 PMBlock heaters and lined doors sound very like Canadian spec.
I agrée but VIN indicates home model! Must have been a well off chap who wanted all the fancy stuff when he bought it!

GHOBHW

Quote from: Birdsnest55 on Jul 13, 2023, 09:42 AMThe diesel engine I sold a certain young man from Bradford had the heater fitted.
It came out of a vehicle that was used on an airport most of it's life, I presume if it was used, the engine would have less wear due to no cold starts.

Paul

was just going to mention the diesel engine I had from you, having one of those :cheers-man

I thought about it a while and figured it was for if the vehicle was at a standstill, say sat not running for a while, they could still have hot water, therefor the smiths heater giving out warm air?

that was my guess anyway.

and by the way, does anyone know where these actually plugged in etc?

going to hook mine up when its done too.

autorover1

I cannot remember where the socket should be placed, but basically anywhere convenient either under the bonnet or dash area depending where  suitable, as you then need a mains cable to plug into it . There were both a 110 Volt and 240 Volt version but most in UK would be 240V ( Now 220V) 

Craig T

As Mark mentioned above, the door trims were an optional extra.
Quite rare to find them in anything other than station wagons where they were standard fit. It did happen though, some buyers did tick the luxury cab option box on the order form. You may even have black Hardura covering to the bulkhead and transmission tunnel with rubber floor mats?

Do your best to save them as they are not easy to find. I had to make new boards for my ones recovering with the original material but the arm rest and top panels are all original with just the edges glued down again and any tears repaired on the inside with new material glued on the back of the grey trim.

Craig.