News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Series 2 Block Heater and other queries!

Started by Telemuhcaster, Jul 13, 2023, 09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiefBeard

Quote from: diffwhine on Jul 13, 2023, 09:32 AMLovely bit of original kit though. It's the sort of thing I'd want just for the sake of it.

I'm with you on that.  I love a bit of pointless shonk, and a block-heater ticks the boxes. I've no use for such a thing, I want it anyway. The fact that it wants a kettle-lead adds to its appeal. If it doesn't actually work, I think I'd prefer it.

Telemuhcaster

Craig.
[/quote]
Quote from: Craig T on Jul 14, 2023, 10:07 AMAs Mark mentioned above, the door trims were an optional extra.
Quite rare to find them in anything other than station wagons where they were standard fit. It did happen though, some buyers did tick the luxury cab option box on the order form. You may even have black Hardura covering to the bulkhead and transmission tunnel with rubber floor mats?

Do your best to save them as they are not easy to find. I had to make new boards for my ones recovering with the original material but the arm rest and top panels are all original with just the edges glued down again and any tears repaired on the inside with new material glued on the back of the grey trim.

Craig.

It does indeed have hardura on the tunnel and bulkhead, or what's left of it! The drivers side is quite far gone on mine and missing on the passenger side. Although you can see where it was screwed on the passenger side so definitely had one at some stage. Shame it hasn't got both! Hopefully I can save the drivers side (and the cool Everglades sticker) and get a replacement for the passenger side. Are the Exmoor trim ones a reasonably faithful replica? And what about their hardura kits, are they faithful enough to replace some of bits that have rotted away?

Exile

Quote from: Craig T on Jul 14, 2023, 10:07 AMAs Mark mentioned above, the door trims were an optional extra.
Quite rare to find them in anything other than station wagons where they were standard fit. It did happen though, some buyers did tick the luxury cab option box on the order form. You may even have black Hardura covering to the bulkhead and transmission tunnel with rubber floor mats?

This ^^.

The March '59 diesel in my avatar was sold to me by the elderly son of the first owner.

He told me his father had ticked a lot of optional extras from the options list. Much of this is still with the vehicle but is not all currently fitted.

Despite it being a hard top, he ordered fully lined doors, hardura lined footwells/gearbox tunnel, and lined cards in the upper footwells, de-luxe bonnet, rubber mats in the front and the rear tub floor, oil/water gauge, indicator kit, freewheeling hubs, overdrive and two station wagon tip-up seats in the back for his two boys. All factory fitted.

The downside was that the workers at the factory fitted the two seats in the same place as they would for an 88" Station Wagon - that is up close to the seat bulkhead, to leave room for the second pair of seats, even though there weren't going to be two more seats in this vehicle.
In this position you have to relocate the spare wheel from the bulkhead to the rear door on SW's, otherwise you cannot let the seats down!
However, this was a hard top with tailgate/catflap so the rear door option wasn't available and the owner had ordered a plain bonnet.

The consequence of this was that these two seats were soon taken out and never used - albeit they came to me with the vehicle 60 years later.....