News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Young driver insurance

Started by rhysthomassteff, Jul 14, 2023, 09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhysthomassteff

Hello everyone, some good news.

After doing a lot of looking around, calling at least 9 insurers I have found someone who can insure me (19) on my S3. I managed to get 2 quotes ranging from nearly £6k to nearly £3k for 4/5000mi and no assured value.

Yesterday I came up trumps with Footman James, 5000mi with assured value (around £17,000), myself as main driver, on road in Scotland for just over £1000. They don't do trials cover but if anyone is young and looking for insurance I would definitely recommend :)

Wittsend

I don't think anyone does trials cover as you are doing this on private land, not on the public road and it comes under motorsport. The people organising the trial will have (or should have) public liability cover. All competitors do so at their own risk and that will be implied when you sign-on.

:cheers-man

ChiefBeard

I'm very thankful for this. I don't think most on here truly understand what 'reasonable' means, this where insuring young drivers are concerned. I fully grasp why, yes, they're high risk. My son has just been quoted £22,000. The rest won't quote. 

Why? He has two 'No fault' claims. Others knocked him off his motorcycle twice. Yes twice. And twice he was not 'At fault' However his 2 x 'No fault' claims put his insurance from £4500 to £22,000. Effectively a driving-ban.

A 40YO with half-dozen No-fault claims has £25 added to his premium. Not a 18YO. It's a driving-ban.

And I pay £190 for a leafer on 10,000 a year. And don't talk to me about any chance of your age group ever owning your own home. You've got FE loans to pay. We had our education for free.

I recall my first moped was insured for £9. And £9 wasn't a lot, even then. My boy pays £1100, for a 125cc.

Seems to me, those in their 40s, 50s 60s+ will claim 'we' had it hard. I'm sorry, I don't think we did.

However... 'competition cover' is quite an ask for anyone at any age.

rhysthomassteff

I agree - it's almost like a lot of insurers don't want young people to drive. I remember a couple of companies I tried last year wanted me to put in a black box as well! It may have helped because it's down as a 'second car' and the tracker and immobiliser too...
Quote from: ChiefBeard on Jul 14, 2023, 09:57 AMI'm very thankful for this. I don't think most on here truly understand what 'reasonable' means, this were insuring young drivers are concerned. I fully grasp why, yes, they're high risk. My son has just been quoted £22,000. The rest won't quote. 

Why? He has two 'No fault' claims. Others knocked him off his motorcycle twice. Yes twice. And twice he was not 'At fault' However his 2 x 'No fault' claims put his insurance from £4500 to £22,000. Effectively a driving-ban.

A 40YO with half-dozen No-fault claims has £25 added to his premium. Not a 18YO. It's a driving-ban.

And I pay £190 for a leafer on 10,000 a year. And don't talk to me about any chance of your age group ever owning your own home. You've got FE loans to pay. We had our education for free.

I recall my first moped was insured for £9. And £9 wasn't a lot, even then. My boy pays £1100, for a 125cc.

Seems to me, those in their 40s, 50s 60s+ will claim 'we' had it hard. I'm sorry, I don't think we did.

However... 'competition cover' is quite an ask for anyone at any age.

ChiefBeard

Quote from: rhysthomassteff on Jul 15, 2023, 10:03 AMI agree - it's almost like a lot of insurers don't want young people to drive. I remember a couple of companies I tried last year wanted me to put in a black box as well! It may have helped because it's down as a 'second car' and the tracker and immobiliser too...

I'm afraid I see the 'black-box' as entirely reasonable. You come  out of a nightclub at 3am - mates and girlfriend on board - on what-ever 'substance' you care to indulge, could be claims in the £millions. You are a RISK. Your insurer wants you driving low-miles, 9-5.

And never forget:

1) They're bookmakers with a posh accent.
2) Couldn't love it more when you lie on the proposal form.
3) Er... correct, they don't want young people to drive. I don't either. Who needs inexperienced idiots driving too fast on our roads?
Only you have to start somewhere. In their case, that'd be why they quote £22K - or refuse to quote at all. Same as you, they're doing it for the money.

And you'll soon cry if they don't pay.
4) Most of us did drive like idiots at your age. Only the stupid will now deny it.

diffwhine

I would counter that by suggesting that anybody who has the interest and desire to drive a classic Land Rover in standard spec at an early age is probably unlikely to want to take risks with their pride and joy by driving like a loon. I'd also argue that people only learn by their mistakes. In my experience, young people learn by their mistakes. Old people do not appear to learn from their mistakes. No fool like an old fool seems very apt in this case.

Frankly, I would much prefer to come up against a rational, apprehensive careful young driver, than than the average 80+ year old who has been able to self certify that they are medically fit to still drive a motor vehicle. At the very least, a mandatory annual eye sight test should be required to retain a licence once we all get to that age. The problem will only ever get worse with an aging population.

Yes - there are some damn fool idiot young (usually male) drivers, but from my experience, the vast majority are responsible and careful drivers who seem to be being excessively penalised for their age and inexperience.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Wittsend

I thought that new cars had their own "black box" tied in with the car's ECU system ???
If they don't, they should, same as having fore and rear dash cams as standard.
It's the way the world is going.

With regard to the medical requirements.

Everyone should have an eye test - reading a car number plate across the car park is not good enough. More importantly drivers should pass a reactions test and movement test to press pedals etc. People with disabilities should be tested using the aids in their adapted cars. So no one is discriminated against.
There should be no age limit, your eyes, and reactions should be up to the required "standard" for ALL drivers.
Unfortunately it won't happen in my life time ...
This is not a vote winner  :shakinghead

Mind how you go

:plod

Beowulf

Anyone living on a diet of watching tv programmes such as Police Camera Action and their like, might believe that young drivers are typically carrying & driving under the influence of drugs, driving blacked-out BMW`s while being chased through our towns & cities by the Police. They might also believe media hyped-up headlines suggesting these individual cases were representative of the vast majority of young drivers, and if that were all true, then all young drivers must be guilty.

Young drivers are not bad drives by dint of being young, they are simply inexperienced young drivers making mistakes, and mistakes which they must learn from or they`ll very quickly find that points don`t makes prizes.

Whatever the reasons, it`s pretty tough for young new drivers. And for some, they might take the view that not bothering with insurance is the only option open for them. Its a pity that Government and the Insurance industry can`t find a solution.
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

ChiefBeard

Unfortunately they have found a solution. Raise premiums until they make money or don't quote.

Someone has to pay for the young-driver stereotype. You've seen them, they do exist.

Quote from: diffwhine on Jul 15, 2023, 11:33 AMI would counter that.........the vast majority are responsible and careful drivers who seem to be being excessively penalised for their age and inexperience.

Isn't that essentially what insurance does? It penalises the statistical anomalies you speak of, and the majority with premiums to pay for underwriter's statistical fact. There's going to be 'one'. There's always going to be 'one'.

Peter Holden

I have worn glassess since I was 21, I am 73.  I wear varifocals that have 3 different main components reading, computer and distance. About 9 years ago I had cataract surgery for 5 years afterwards I didnt need to wear glasses but now I am back to wearing them full time and I need to have my eyes tested as my close up vision is deteriorating but the interesting thing is that i can still read a numberplate at the correct distance without specs but I cant read the car speedo without them.  I always carry a spare pair of specs in whichever vehicle I am driving.

I agree an eye test should be mandatory on a regular basis

I am very precious of my land rover, it is not insured for either of my sons who are in their late 30s to drive as I dont feel comfortable with their driving.  On the other hand my nephew who is 42 is on the insurance and I am happy for him to drive it.  (I am also insured to and drive his land rovers, in fact he now owns the land rover that I learned to drive in)

Peter