News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Hard-to-find parts initiative

Started by Mycroft, Jul 14, 2023, 05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mycroft

I wondered whether there was any appetite to contribute to a list of hard-to-track-down parts. If so and we there's any sort of consensus on widely known unobtainium, I'm happy to pass on the information to potential suppliers. I've been speaking to Charles Emberton (Emberton Imperial/Bits4Landys) and he in turn has regular chats with the likes of Britpart and Craddocks about ideas for future products, so if you're aware of a part you or others struggle to source, feel free to list it here and if we get enough suggestions, I'll pass on the information.

Top of my list for a while was an old headlight assembly part which may now be freely available, but at the time I was being quoted £149 - bonkers for something that could be knocked up on a 3D printer in minutes.

Over to you...
1964 88" Canvas Top ACR Petrol
1979 88" Truck cab Petrol Series III

ChiefBeard

And therein lies the problem. Something like a headlamp assembly on a short run couldn't be made for £149, thus in truth £149 is very cheap. Only I'm with you, £149 is pricey, and more than the majority will pay.

It's easy to see what we want, only this amounts to parts at well below the short-run price. Who would be fool enough to invest in something and be left with unsold stock?

Better than me knows the solution?

Tom

I'm aware that the original deep thermostat housing bellows type thermostats are getting hard to come by. The originals were AC Delco TD5 thermostats but old stock is drying up rapidly.

Parts to repair the bonnet frame sections would be very welcome - particularly the rear rail that runs parallel to the bulkhead. Same I think for door repair sections.

diffwhine

All for this and I think its a great initiative. Often its just a matter of people just not knowing who is out there as a supplier rather than unavailability. We have also seen club members themselves manufacturing parts, so this is a great way of showcasing availability.

With the demise of Dunsfold as a parts retail outlet and if Blanchards do as they appear to be wishing to do, then this problem will only get worse.

As is made clear on our Club Member's supplier discount page, the Series 2 Club does not endorse any particular supplier, but we do like discounts!  :cheers
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon