News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Hippopotamuses

Started by Beowulf, Jul 16, 2023, 01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beowulf

This unusual question cropped up in conversation, what is the collective noun for a group of Hippopotamuses? Well, it seems the answer is a bloat, a bloat of Hippopotamuses. How often would you need to say that in your lifetime. Pub Quizzers step forward, have you heard this one ??? 

Quickly getting to the point before David Attenborough knocks on my door. Well this started me thinking about what to call a group of Series Land Rovers.

Cars in general can be a Fleet, a Mayhem, a Horde etc but our Land Rovers deserve something more defined, more refined and so I came up with these two,

"a Series of Land Rovers 48 - 85" and " a Lineage (Lin-eage) of Land Rovers 48 - 85".

Although, if you're having problems with your old lady, you`re more likely to call them "a Bast**d of Land Rovers"  :))  :))  :))  Yes I`m laughing at my own little joke  ;)

Over 2 you  :cheers-man
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

diffwhine

A bloat of hippopotamuses... Intriguing! Having lived in Africa for over half my life, I've not heard that one before, but also not heard anything to contradict it. Usually the tendency is to assume the plural of Hippopotamus is Hippopotamae, but as its a greek word, not latin, that doesn't work.

Come to think of it, I have heard of hippos being referred to as a "herd", but "bloat" sounds much better!

I think your collective noun for for multiple old Land Rovers should surely be a "slick" of Land Rovers?
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Worf

One I have used in the past is an "Inferno of Reliants". Not enough about these days though.
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an appen nob'dy 'll notice."

Richard

Those not in love with Land Rovers could call it an escargoterie, a rout, or a bale of Land Rovers. More fondly, a variation on the lineage theme, maybe a leakage of Land Rovers.
Richard
'64 S2a

ChiefBeard

Always was a dribble of Land rovers for us.

Genocache

Hmmm, a bloat of hippos, a murder of crows, an apocalypse of Rovers? A smear of Rovers? ???  :thud

Noddy

Shouldn't it be a "Wallow of Hippopotamae". See Flanders and Swan as a reference. As for a collection of Land Rovers possibly a "Migraine" or a "Haemarrhoid".

Alec

Beowulf

Fred

stoneman

Hi,
When my two are standing on our drive they are called a "Drip tray" of Landies.

Stoneman.

Daisythelandie

Told my other half of the Bloat of hippos, I came up with 'an oilstain of Landrovers' and she came back with 
'a Plod of Landrovers'.... Yes I like that one.

Dave.
Dave & Daisy the Landy, 31 years of ownership and still smiling.

Beowulf

Almost all of the above refer to leaking  :oil-spill  now who would have thought it :thud 

This last one might appeal to diffwhine, "a Range of Rovers"

Its been fun  :cheers-man
Fred

Wittsend

Given the size of hippos I think a group go them can call themselves what they like  :cheers

As for Series 2 Land Rovers a guess a group of Jeeps is out of order ???

Beowulf

Quote from: Wittsend on Jul 17, 2023, 04:39 PMGiven the size of hippos I think a group go them can call themselves what they like  :cheers

:))  :))   and, depending on who you ask, they are the or one of the most dangerous animals on the planet. As to what to call them, personally if I ever met one, I`d say Sir

Did someone just mention J$$p, I think you need some retraining Alan  ;)
Fred

scotty38

I was always told there is not a diff of bitterence between a hipponocerous and a rhinopotamus
Still Wittsend's little helper.....

diffwhine

Quote from: Beowulf on Jul 17, 2023, 04:53 PM
Quote from: Wittsend on Jul 17, 2023, 04:39 PMGiven the size of hippos I think a group go them can call themselves what they like  :cheers

:))  :))   and, depending on who you ask, they are the or one of the most dangerous animals on the planet. As to what to call them, personally if I ever met one, I`d say Sir

Did someone just mention J$$p, I think you need some retraining Alan  ;)

Therein lies the question - who guards the guards? I can't moderate Wittsend even if he is out of control mentioning certain American (as they were) 4x4s as he runs this forum.

And having worked for the Parks and Wildlife Departments in two sub Saharan African countries, I can absolutely confirm that hippos are not cute and cuddly. One of my staff was killed by one... 
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon