News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Do you like the "Quick Reply" feature ?

Started by Wittsend, Jul 10, 2023, 05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wittsend

I never turned this feature on on the old forum.

In this version of the forum there is no option to turn it off, it was discontinued in SMF 2.1.x

I can edit the code to remove Quick Edit if the majority so wish. I can easily (and won't bother) to make it user selectable.

Birdsnest55

Quick reply is OK if you don't need to add any pictures or files.

In my opinion it makes no difference as long as people are aware of the difference.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

Wittsend

Fair point - I have added a 3rd option

geoff

BradfordS2

How do I do a non 'quick reply'?

I haven't worked out how to attach pictures yet either!

Beowulf

What are the pro`s & con`s of using the Quick Reply method?
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

Richard

Probably the pro of one less click (Reply) against the con of not being able to add images or files, as Paul wrote. Maybe handy if you want to quickly post a short reaction...
Richard (this being a Quick reply)
'64 S2a

Beowulf

Thanks Richard, I`m still finding my way around and have used the Reply button for this, where is this Quick Reply button  :nixweiss
Fred

Exile

There's no button.

The space to type your reply is at the bottom of every page.

Beowulf

(laughing Icon) I should`ve guessed, staring me in the blooming face, thanks Exile  :cheers
Fred

Serious Series

Does the reply notify the person who started the post that they have a reply?
Another forum I use has this feature.
Does quoting an earlier post notify that person?

Craig T

There is a host of notification settings in the menu at the top left of the forum.
You can set notifications for messages replied, quoted, liked etc.

At the top of my screen I click on my name and avatar picture and a drop down menu appears. In that menu is the notification settings with a little bell icon next to it.

Craig.

Wittsend

^^^^

Exactly so - in this version of SMF you have so many different permutations of notifications.
Not a feature I ever use, I'm afraid you will have to experiment as to which suit your forum use the best.

:RHD

Wittsend

For the 2 users who don't like this feature - it's now selectable - you have some options.
You can set how the "Quick Reply" operates - go to your Profile, then "Look & Layout".
Scroll to the bottom of the page and have a play.

:cheers-man

Genocache

Today when I quick replied to the hippo thread and hit post, I got an error message and it didn't post. Using the reply tab worked.