News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

E5 Disappearing?

Started by Worf, Mar 09, 2024, 10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Worf

Up until last Autumn there was no problem round here getting E5 "petrol". It is essential for my garden machinery (2 stroke) and my old vehicles run better on it. Recently however it is becoming more difficult to find a garage that actually stocks it. Is it just me?
Do any of the additives being peddled as ethanol killer actually do anything ???
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an appen nob'dy 'll notice."

Alan Drover

Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Better to accept, sooner or later it must go. Long game, unless something causes significant change - unlikely - give even  one logical reason for it to stay?

It's not about me - 'tis pointless to think it is. eg: I've swapped out the rubber in my set-up. It's not something I will win if I don't.

Phil2014

I think I'm the only person who hasn't had bother with e10? Our lawn mower sits in the garage for 6 months with e10 in it every year (I know I should drain it) come March, turn the key and away it goes, same with the land rovers.
Phil.
Borders area rep.

Myles (Mr Fox) Davison

We have quite a good supply of E5 'super' up here - our most local supermarket doesn't sell it but there are plenty of places nearby. I only use it in the Porsche and (if I ever dig it back out) the Honda Blackbird (motorbike) engined kitcar. Both are capable of running 95 E10 as they have knock sensors, but I prefer to run 98/99 in them.

Paul4978

E5  around here ok.
Will need to change rubber stuff soon though I think

Richard

Quote from: Phil2014 on Mar 09, 2024, 11:27 AMI think I'm the only person who hasn't had bother with e10? Our lawn mower sits in the garage for 6 months with e10 in it every year (I know I should drain it) come March, turn the key and away it goes, same with the land rovers.
Phil.
No :cool

I run my old Stiga Villa Something sit on mower with Briggs and Stratton engine on Euro95/e10. I've been doing that for as long as I have it, almost 8 years now – except for when I had accidentally filled it with 2-stroke and it sort of wanted to suffocate the grass in stead of mow it. During winter it sits outside with the e10 still in it.

In the beginning I pampered my Series 2a with e5, or Euro98 with "at the very most traces of ethanol," as Avia explained, but the last few years I run it on Euro95/e10, so far without any problems...

Richard

'64 S2a

John

I find it in most Tesco's around here, and you get Tesco points :gold-cup
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

Richard

In France they still offer Euro95/e5, which contains up to 5% ethanol or 15% ETBE. I had to look up the last one, ethyl tert-butyl ether, which according to Wikipedia "offers equal or greater air quality benefits than ethanol, while being technically and logistically less challenging." It doesn't absorb moisture, like ethanol does. It does however have a low biodegradability, I read on the French Wikipedia, making it a "problematic pollutant for phreatic tables".

Richard
'64 S2a

autorover1

Up to now no issues in Herefordshire . Morrisons have it & most branded Fuels

John

Quote from: Worf on Mar 09, 2024, 10:37 AMDo any of the additives being peddled as ethanol killer actually do anything ???

Good point :teacher
When lead was taken out of petrol we bought additives to put the lead back in which I can understand but how does a additive take out or remove the effect of ethanol work :confused
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

Wittsend

Obviously an additive can't remove ethanol from the petrol ...  but it can "neutralise" the corrosive effects of the ethanol in the petrol. Ethanol is actually quite corrosive compared with straight petrol which is why we have problems with some rubbers, plastics, fibre glass and metals.

I don't know the actual chemistry as to how the additives work  :mad 

Ethanol Fuel Treatment

There are other similar products on the market.

Are these just Snake Oil ???
The FBHVC also endorsed "Valve Master" when everyone was panicking about valve seat recession with unlead petrol. This fear never came about  :shakinghead

Any 60 yr old rubber is probably well past its best and hoses and such like should have been replaced a long time ago as part of the routine vehicle maintenance. There are rubbers now able to withstand the effects of ethanol. New carb parts/diaphragms and O-rings are/should be ethanol resistant. There should be no excuse for a Series Land Rover not to run on E5 or E10 petrol.

Another type of fuel additive is a fuel preservative. These help stop the petrol from "going off", they stabilise the fuel so it's good for a few years - the petrol remains bug and jelly free.

I've used both of these with good results  :gold-cup

Available from all good garden centres or marinas (or eBay).

After Armageddon I'd like to see the return of full fat leaded petrol  :petrol-pump

Alan Drover

Agree. The return of Esso Golden, the Shell pump with the blue globe and Cleveland Discol with Alcohol would be very welcome.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Gibbo103

One of our local garages still sells leaded 4star. It's rather expensive though

DogDave

If anyone struggling with finding E5 I'd recommend an app called Petrol Prices. It's free and you can see on a map what stations have E5 (or other fuels) and what prices, it's very handy when in an area you don't know so well.