News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Wires through chassis

Started by Space-Kook, Oct 17, 2023, 01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Space-Kook

Hello!

I'm finally getting around to installing underglow and I want to keep the wiring as sensible as possible by following the existing harness. For the back half this looks like it could be tricky, and I was wondering if anyone had any tricks for threading wires through the chassis?

Thanks,
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

Craig T

Underglow, as in under car neons...?   :cool

Not so easy to get wires through the chassis if the body is still in place but you may be able to do it using a wiring snake or a kitchen drain unblocking snake. These are made from semi-stiff nylon or twisted wire which remains flexible to go around corners but stiff enough to push.
Failing that, you can simply clip or tie the wires along the outside of the chassis rail where the brake pipes run. You can drill and screw P-clips onto the chassis or just use plastic zip ties / cable ties.

A lot of people move the main vehicle loom from the inside to the outside of the chassis rail. It makes any welding repairs a lot easier in the future and it can be argued that it can't rust and chaff it it is secured on the outside.

Craig.

Talullah

Another way is to get a piece of normal string and push it through the grommet in the chassis (if the wires are not installed) and use a hoover attachment and put it over the other grommet hole at the rear of the chassis and then turn the hoover on and it should suck the string to the back. Make sure you have enough string so that it does not completely suck through the chassis and is loose. Once that is done attach the wiring harness to the string and then pull through.

autorover1

I tied string to a 6 Ft Bamboo came  and using the holes in the top & bottom of the frame was able to work it from front to back , then pull the harness through. I left a length of bailer twine threaded through so I can pull more wires if needed in the future.

Space-Kook

Thanks all for the advice, just ordered a wire snake and I'll give those methods a try. Good thinking too about leaving some string in there, will do that.

Cheers
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

gcc130

I just use a piece of stiff fencing wire, always works for me.

Dazzerpig

i use a length of net curtain wire with an eyelet at one end, pushed through from the back to front, then use a magnetic pick up tool to lift it out then fit the loom to wire with insulation tape and pull it back through, always worked for me

whitehillbilly64

I push a length of 1/4 inch black irrigation pipe into the chassis from rear to front grommet. I then run the wires through it.

whitehillbilly

BradfordS2

I have used a piece of 1.5mm house cable. It's stiff enough to push through but flexible enough to manoeuvre round the bends! Once that's been fed through, tape your harness to it and pull it through.