News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Which seatbelts for a soft top Series 2A?

Started by srjcox, Nov 05, 2023, 07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srjcox

Good evening all.

The 2a that I bought came with 2 inertia reel seat belts that are way beyond their best - ie don't unroll/roll back smoothly. There is also not one for the middle seat.

The reels are mounted on the top of the bulkhead behind the seats, the corner to the plates inside the door and then the buckle goes into the clip, which itself is on a long(ish) cable from the anchor plates on the floor behind the seats.

My issue is, I've now ordered about 3 different ones, all advertised for the series, but none of them have a long enough cable for the clip which the buckle goes into, to allow said clip to stick up between the seat backs.

I also have no idea what parts I would need to be able to make the middle seat seatbelt fit - this needs to attach through to the floor behind the seats for the corner (vs the inside door plates for the outside two seats).

Can anyone help with some links for some that will definitely work, both for the outside seats and then the various bits I need for the middle?

Thank you!!

A few photos below.

Sam

diffwhine

EVB000550LNF   1   Seat Belt RH
EVB000540LNF   1   Seat Belt LH
GSB210   1   Lap Belt
BTR4372   1   Buckle
BTR4373   1   Buckle

This is what I usually use on soft top Land Rovers. It assumes the use of a seatbelt bar behind the front seats.

You cannot view this attachment.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Wittsend

These people do a selection of Securon Seat Belts seat belts.

Most independent parts suppliers have them, or try Rimmer Bros.

The thing with 3-point belts is that they work best with an upper shoulder mounting point.
In a soft top you don't have an upper mounting point  :shakinghead

You can use the bar as shown ^^^ or there are people selling just a single loop that goes behind each seat. This is what I have in the LWT. I prefer this as it gives easy accessing the rear from the front - no bar in the way.

You really need inertia belts to give that extra bit of movement when reaching for the distant switches on the dash.
I find static belts are a pain in the arse shoulder  :shakinghead 

{Hard tops & truck cabs are better catered for as they are LR spec brackets for the upper  mounting.}

Sunny Jim

Replacement 2 point inertia real seat belts are available for soft top classic cars, mine are angle adjustable. These usually come with a selection of mounting brackets, so you should be able to directly replace the ones you have.

Sunny Jim

srjcox

Thank you all, I am specifically looking for some that have a long stalk on the clip end, c40-45cm by my reckoning.

All the ones I have tried so far must be less than 30cm and aren't long enough to stick through seats, despite advertising as suitable for Series.

diffwhine

The kit I use is Defender throughout pretty much. The stalks that go with those belts are long enough.

diffwhine

And on another rebuild...