News:

Happy Star Wars Day   ... 

Main Menu

151 block and junk cylinder head

Started by Telemuhcaster, Nov 20, 2023, 02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telemuhcaster

Hello all, my cylinder head is cracked... so junk.

What differences, if any, are there between a later S2a or even S3 cylinder heads to the S2?

All the best

diffwhine

This might be the best start point:
https://www.automotivecomp.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/2.25-Petrol-cylinder-head-identification-min.pdf

Your 151 head has an offset on the centre rocker cover stud, so if you change to a later head, you will also need the later head and rocker shaft. Your one should be a two piece rocker shaft if I recall correctly.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Telemuhcaster

Quote from: diffwhine on Nov 20, 2023, 04:38 PMThis might be the best start point:
https://www.automotivecomp.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/2.25-Petrol-cylinder-head-identification-min.pdf

Your 151 head has an offset on the centre rocker cover stud, so if you change to a later head, you will also need the later head and rocker shaft. Your one should be a two piece rocker shaft if I recall correctly.

Yeah I see what you mean, I have an 8:1 head off a 2a with rocker shaft and cover. Is there any reason I can't swap it? I've been told the difference in push rod length can be lost on the tappet adjustment. I'm sure somebody on here must have tried it? Trying to find an early 2 head is like finding rocking horse s**t. Unless one of the fine gentleman (or gentleladies) have one lying in the back of a shed somewhere. So I'm hoping it can get me by whilst I be patient and find the correct head over time

JonB

I'm sure (I'll check again tomorrow) that the rocker stands will fit on either head, and that the offset is only the rocker cover stud position into the stand. When the 8:1 head was on my 151 block the holes in the early rocker cover had to be 'ovalled' slightly.

Also, although I didn't fit it in the end, the single piece rocker shaft appears to have holes in all the right places (only needs one locating special screw) to replace the split shaft in the early stands.

Jon