News:

Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

'ardcase security in a 11a

Started by John, Dec 12, 2023, 01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

I read a lot of people like these pedal locks but they are not cheap.
A question that I'm wondering about is that in my 11a I have standard brake and clutch pedals but a ex defender cable type accelerator pedal not the rod and lever linkage. Would a standard series 11/11a/111 'ardcase fit and work with no issues ???

Thinking about the cost, is this the best security I can get for this money ??? (already having a Disclock, hand brake lock)

And if all the answers seem right has any one got a series 'ardcase for sale for a fair price ???
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

Countryview

I had to measure the gaps between the pedals and take photos to send to him so they could ensure a correct fit, so I'm not sure a secondhand one would fit? I'm sure if you sent a photo of you pedal arrangement he would advise whether it would fit or not...he seems pretty helpful.

I like mine, it's robust and with a discloc is a good visible deterrent in my opinion.
1959 88" Series 2

John

Thinking about the price and fit on my pedal layout I did wonder about this but not as well designed and perhaps not as secure :ebay  256335104246
£85.99 with postage
(and how do you do the ebay link on this new forum :confused )

Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

Mike T

I have the ardcase, I had to measure and take pictures. They re-made it twice but still not correct. Nothing was to much trouble for them. I ended up with them making a 2 peddle ardcase. It fits very well and very easy to fit.

Alan Drover

I use a Clutch Claw. It's more "universal" than an Ardcase, nowhere near as bulky and easier to store.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Scotty

Quote from: Alan Drover on Dec 12, 2023, 05:24 PMI use a Clutch Claw. It's more "universal" than an Ardcase, nowhere near as bulky and easier to store.
I've always used a clutch claw, as mentioned it's less bulky and easier to store when not in use, I used to store mine behind the seat and as it was a daily I used it religiously wherever and whenever I left the Land Rover :cheers-man Paul

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Agreed. Many a LR security device appeals to the LR stereotype. Think for a second. Real world you want something quick and easy and compact to get on and off. Else you'll tire of using or storing.  You'll not put it on in 5-6 secs. That 'ardcase is cumbersome to use, and real-world won't slow down a determined thief more than a clutch-claw. Thus it may be more secure but it self-defeats. An angle-grinder will defeat both just as quickly.

All you can do is delay and hope you make it hard enough for them to move to another target. Out and about, I use  two layers, a clutch-claw and a handbrake lock. At home I park behind a security  post.  I'm under no delusion. If they want it bad enough, they'll get it.

Calum

Having owned both, the Ardcase is a far superior product to the clutch claw and built much better. It is, however, so heavy and with no 'brace' to the footwell that the constant pressure on the brake pedal caused a slight weep on my brake MC - requires investigation, of course, but I've never had a leak before or since (I propped it up with a piece of wood as the 2a is parked up at the moment). A moot point, perhaps.

The lock mechanism is a bit fiddly to use compared to the clutch claw but as I say, overall much better in my opinion. A local 90 was stolen some 8 or so years ago, recovered with an early ardcase defeated and thrown in the back. They took it back and modified the design having worked out how they got in so a current model should be quite a bit stronger.

Agreed on the fact a cordless angle grinder will beat most locks, but it's all just a case of slowing someone down. Grinding is noisy and slow, bolt cutters are neither. Very little will stop someone coming along with a tilt back wagon or similar though.

Rob_W

EBay link   Wasn't there an Ebay button on the old forum?

It's big and obvious so might be as good a "better" unit as a deterent? Has anyone got one?

island dormy

Why not make your own, if you or a good friend have moderate to good welding skills its not that hard. I made a wooden template up first.
 I use a large heavy duty padlock to secure the anti theft device.
 Yes it takes a minute or so to install but its compact size allows me to store it in the door pocket.
 I think I'm going to build a handbrake lock mechanism as well they are very easy to install quickly.

I agree if some body really really wants your rover they will go to any means to get it.
However most simple anti theft devices and some common sense will stop the amateur's and the joy riders.
 Just ask my good friend Ralph his house was broken into...guess which keys were sitting on top of the fridge? The car disappeared as well.

Victor
1962 Dormobile in the family since 1964
1969 NADA Dormobile 2.6L #800 out of 811 NADAS built

Birdsnest55

Here is a picture for the dimensions.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

island dormy

Hi Paul

Thanks I knew I had posted that picture sometime in the past.

You have to push the accelerator pedal down to install the device.

Victor
1962 Dormobile in the family since 1964
1969 NADA Dormobile 2.6L #800 out of 811 NADAS built

NoBeardNoTopKnot

That looks good. Compact for starters. Might take too long to get any padlock etc in. Suppose if it's possible to leave the padlock dangling - the two don't get separated.

Anti-theft threads on here always seem to read the same way. Few think to walk in the shoes of the thief. The central premise left to go waaaaaaay over our heads.

Theft is supposed to be easy. Easier than work. Minimal risk. Simple money, quick rewards.  It's not supposed to require any thought, be anything like work or carry risk.

All that's required is the up the risk/ reward / thought process beyond what's attractive to our thief and we win. Usually.

When an anti-theft measure means we're doing more work than the thief it's clear this is not understood. This would explain the success of many products perennially sold to LR owners. How  non-self-aware do to we have to be for that stuff to sell, yet it does?
I have 4 x layers of protection; all four,  take less to arm/uninstall than one Ardcase.

Security cannot be one sole item, whatever the solution, the whole shebang must be quick and easy, else install search-lights and goon-towers and have it done.

Clifford Pope

Quote from: NoBeardNoTopKnot on Dec 16, 2023, 08:31 AMAll that's required is the up the risk/ reward / thought process beyond what's attractive to our thief and we win. Usually.

When an anti-theft measure means we're doing more work than the thief it's clear this is not understood.

Surely that leaves out the vital parameter - the value of the item, a) to the thief, b) to the owner?

If your car is worth £100, you are poor, and you need the car to get to work tomorrow, then it's worth going to a lot of trouble to stop it being stolen.
If the car is worth £100,000 but you are a multi-billionaire then it's hardly worth even locking it.
Between those extremes there is a whole spectrum of values and circumstances. I don't think one can generalise about whether a device is worth fitting or not.

Alan Drover

As I discovered today a Clutch Claw can be used as a one person brake light tester by using the pieces separately to hold down the brake pedal. The lights still work.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"