News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Sun visor

Started by Bigdog, Dec 08, 2023, 09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloke

I never really thought about the drag and fuel economy aspect of them. That makes a lot of sense. Though it's best to not think about fuel economy when driving a 6 pot to be honest!
1968 Series 2A 88" 2.25 Petrol (Mine)
1968 Series 2A 109" Station Wagon 2.6 Petrol (My Dad's)

GVO418J r.i.p.

Quote from: diffwhine on Dec 30, 2023, 08:27 AMBiloxi - top marks for that response...! I hadn't noticed it before.

When I did my first trans Africa run, I had one of those visors on our 109 S3. I am 5'10" so pretty much average height. I found it very restrictive for my field of vision and coupled with a bonnet mounted spare wheel (another naiive mistake for expeditions), it was very much like driving an armoured vehicle with a tiny windscreen.

The wheel got lashed to the roof rack and the sun visor removed. We scrapped the sunvisor and in return got a pair of sunvisors from an old Land Cruiser which we fitted inside. Far more effectrive and far less intrusive.

I think the external sun visor looks great, but in reality, not very practical. Clearly as Domeheadrivet says, the drag and impact on fuel economy I know as substantial. Nice in theory, not so great in practice in my view

Totally agree - they do look the part but impractical if you are tall as they restrict vision so much.

When I had my dormobile in Africa I took one spare on a homemade swing away bracket on the rear crossmember/body which opened automatically with the rear door and the second went on the roof rack with the 2 jerrycans [extra water & fuel]. The roof rack was also homemade and fitted in front of the lift up roof, projecting forwards just about as far as the visor would have but higher and supported by brackets down to the bulkhead. Not sure but I believe some one on the old forum now owns it - the roof rack, not the vehicle as that was written off after an accident.

Old80

Looks 👍 Function 👎🏿

Clifford Pope

There was a fad for fitting external visors to Ford Zephyrs and Zodiacs and the like, along with white-wall tyres, door pillar mounted searchlights and chrome hoods over the headlights.

https://assets.carandclassic.com/uploads/cars/ford/C1529791/1955-ford-zephyr-6390bcdbc52b5.jpg?auto=compress&fit=fillmax&h=281&ixlib=php-4.1.0&q=75&w=500&s=bb93fd386d7f904819d8780164d4d5b3

Alan Drover

Another car I remember factory external sun visors being fitted to was the Wolseley1500. I never fitted one on mine. I concentrated on making it go faster instead.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"