News:

Happy Star Wars Day   ... 

Main Menu

235 / 85 / R16

Started by Bigdog, Jan 15, 2024, 06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

I know I have probably asked before but can't find the post, are these tyre sizes as close a match you can get for for replacing my 7.50 x 16 tyres, they seem to be more available and would they still look ok or am I better trying to get 7.50 x 16 tyres, thanks

Alan Drover

Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

Hi Alan, well when I removed my old tyres they were tubed and the garage said i could go tubeless as the rims would take them, but unsure

gcc130

What's wrong with Avon Rangemasters or Michelin XZL's in7.50 x16?
I've run my series one on part worn XZL's for years.

Birdsnest55

Quote from: Bigdog on Jan 15, 2024, 06:59 PMHi Alan, well when I removed my old tyres they were tubed and the garage said i could go tubeless as the rims would take them, but unsure
Only go Tubeless if you have Tubeless rims, the tyres need to sit in a groove to keep them on. Tubed rims do not have the groove.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

nathanglasgow

Quote from: gcc130 on Jan 15, 2024, 07:02 PMWhat's wrong with Avon Rangemasters or Michelin XZL's in7.50 x16?
I've run my series one on part worn XZL's for years.

Avon Rangemasters have been unavailable for a while now as the company has closed its last UK factory in Dec last year. Xzl tyres are mentally expensive so I can see the attraction of the more modern sizes.

Alan Drover

Later Defender rims, Wolf wheels and some aftermarket wheels have the groove for tubeless tyres. The groove is on  the inner rim in which the tyre fits nearest to the outward facing part of the wheel.  It's not recommended to fit a tube to these rims because there's a risk that the tube gets trapped between the lip and the groove.
Be 110% sure that your rims are suitable for tubeless tyres first and if they are you've got much more choice.
Fitting the wrong type of tyres is likely to invalidate your insurance if there's an accident.

"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

I will get a picture of the rims, thanks

gcc130

I'm well aware Avon, Melksham has closed, I only live a few miles away, but the Rangemaster still features on Avon's 2024 website so are they being produced elsewhere?

Alan Drover

Quote from: Bigdog on Jan 15, 2024, 07:55 PMI will get a picture of the rims, thanks
Get a picture of the inside where the tyre fits.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

w3526602

Hi,

Many years ago, I read somewhere that it was acceptable to fit more modern tyres, I think 205s, onto wheels originally supplied with cross-plies.  Memory says it was mentioned in a Haynes manual, but don't trust my memory (I don't).

PS. Is Honest John  (Font of all Knowledge)back at work? I read that he was very ill.

John

I have 235 / 85 / R16 Avon Ranger ATT tyres on Discovery 1 steel rims but I feel the steering is heavier than when I had 205's, but was told 750's would make the steering lighter when I need new tyres but as said the choice seems limited as most of my driving is on tarmac roads a 75% road/25 off road tyre is what I need.

Advice at tyre shops is  :confused  :confused , I was told 235's were not wide enough for Discovery 1 steel rims but Landrover fitted 205's on them
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

Bigdog

Here is a picture of my rims

Birdsnest55

These are Tubed rims, not safe for Tubeless tyres.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

Bigdog

I assume if I am using inner tubes then it doesn't matter what tyres I buy, is that correct, thanks