News:

Happy Star Wars Day   ... 

Main Menu

235 / 85 / R16

Started by Bigdog, Jan 15, 2024, 06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Drover

Tubeless tyres are not recommended for tubes as the inside is rougher and can chafe the tube. I believe it's said some Michelin tubeless tyres are an exception but they're expensive.
Your choice of tyres is going to be somewhat limited unless you get tubeless rims.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

They are difficult to find as they don't say if they are tubed or tubeless

Alan Drover

It would be cheaper in the long run to get tubeless rims unless you want originalty.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

simonbav

MickMack on the Facebook S2C page found a lorry tyre very suited to occasional off road use with good road manners. I made a note of the tyres. I'll post them here if I find the note.
1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

island dormy

Hi

If you are going to use Radial tires ( either tube style radial tires or tubeless  radial tires with the older style rims that need tubes)  you need to buy Radial tubes.
Normal tubes made for cross ply tires will wear through in very short order.

https://firestonetubes.com/policies-and-forms/page/1/tube-safety#:~:text=Only%20RADIAL%20tubes%20and%20RADIAL,or%20flap%20in%20ANY%20tire.

There is a recent post similar to this one on here somewhere I just cant find it.

Victor
1962 Dormobile in the family since 1964
1969 NADA Dormobile 2.6L #800 out of 811 NADAS built

w3526602

Hi,

One answer to the inner tube problem. Problem? What problem?  I drove my S1 bodied, S2 based, S3 galv chassied "Cobble", for four years, on 235s fitted with tubes, on Series wheels.

The wheels were from a LWB, to push the tyres closer to the body sides.

biloxi

These two tubes were fitted to tubeless tyres. They are supposed to be smooth for easy movement.
As you can see one had a fold that because of the rough inner tyre surface  could not straighten. I would
not recommend lowering tyre pressure in sticky situations. One set of inferior tubes only lasted about 3
month in daily use. They seem a bit better in tyres with 8-12PR because of the stiff sidewalls.
.W.

w3526602

Advice at tyre shops is  :confused  :confused , I was told 235's were not wide enough for Discovery 1 steel rims but Landrover fitted 205's on them

Hi,

Going back to the 1980s, my tyre shop suggested fitting 205s, as fitted to Range Rovers (then?) to my S1 88" Land Rover. I have done so ever since.

But .... I can't remember if I ever fitted tubes, which suggests that I didn't ... but ....?

island dormy

I have changed hundreds of old style semi truck tubed tires. I always sprinkled talcum powder inside the tire before installing the tube. The talcum powder acts as a lubricant and allows the tube to slide around and position it self correctly as it gets aired up.
  It also helps the tire bead to slide up and over the outer rim lip to seat itself correctly against the outside of the rim.
 Nowadays you can buy commercial tire powder and liquid to aid in mounting a tire, or use water downed dish soap to help seat the bead.

The next step was to inflate and deflate the tire a couple of times that also allowed the tube to position it self correctly.

If done correctly and radial tubes are used inside radial tires even the junky cheap modern ones we get supplied  with these days should go for many many miles.

Victor
1962 Dormobile in the family since 1964
1969 NADA Dormobile 2.6L #800 out of 811 NADAS built

John

Quote from: w3526602 on Jan 17, 2024, 11:47 AMAdvice at tyre shops is  :confused  :confused , I was told 235's were not wide enough for Discovery 1 steel rims but Landrover fitted 205's on them

Hi,

But .... I can't remember if I ever fitted tubes, which suggests that I didn't ... but ....?

but with rivited, non welded, series rims which I think they all are you have to fit tubes to avoild leaks.
On one of my 86" I have used Defender 5 1/2" welded rims to avoid the need for rims but on the other 86" I still have tudes on the original dated rims as I felt I need to keep the original dated rims with the series one as once seperated another part of the history is lost :shakinghead
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

autorover1

Just picking up on this , I believe Discovery One, steel wheels were fitted with both 235/70 R 16 and 205/80 R 16 tyres , so I dont think thy are too small for that width tyre. 235/85 are taller but not wider, but I am not sure which rim profile is needed. Series LR wheel are 'F' profile and Discovery are I believe 'J' and I know LR engineers when they used to come to Eastnor and trial at club events  in Rover Co. vehicles , back in the late 1970s/80s wouldn't fit the LR tyres on RR/Discovery wheels. They would keep the matched wheels & tyres.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

NEVER LISTEN TO TYRE SELLER ADVICE - search manufacturer web-sites etc

Fine for common or garden, but you're not asking about common or garden. Most retailers have never fitted a tubed tyre in their life, and those that have won't have done this  often enough to know too much more than you.

I've got £500 that says most KwikFit etc won't have even one tube in stock, and haven't for years.

Source  tubeless rims. It's not as if they're dear. When did you last see a coiler on stock steels rims? You didn't. 90/100s today have gone gloss-black 'drug-dealer chic', and a panoramic-roof.  Which is why eBay is awash with steel tubeless rims.

They give them away - fit tubeless tyres.

Alan Drover

This is a tubeless Wolf wheel. You can see the lip for retaining the tyre on the right. You have to view the photo get the correct orientation.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

autorover1

The key identification for a tubeless wheel for radial ply tyres is the 'hump' just inboard of the wheel lip.  Sometimes the wheel can be be listed with 2 x Humps . As an aside tubeless cross ply tyres dont need the hump.

Alan Drover

"Ça plane pour moi!"