News:

Happy Star Wars Day   ... 

Main Menu

235 / 85 / R16

Started by Bigdog, Jan 15, 2024, 06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoBeardNoTopKnot

The idea some would seek advice from the standard tyre outlets, when the info is far off the mainstream should frighten.

A tyre-fitting machine is something few would fail to have down-pat inside 15 mins, those operators fit for your Eurobox all day long. Most of us have been to those places, there's no way to put this other than how it is....  they have those jobs for a reason.

It shouldn't be difficult to get it wrong, yet they usually do. If you're there with anything off-the-beaten-track, make sure you're doing the thinking - they won't be.

Don't laugh, (if tubes) I strongly advise you to take waht needs fitting to motorcycle-dealers. They tend to have greater skill-level, it'd be the guv'nor that does it, and have daily experience with tubes.

The last you'll want is some knuckle-dragger (complete with pound-shop footballer hair-cut)  fresh from a two-day Kwik-Fit etc course anywhere near stock LR rims.

Bigdog

Has anyone ever fitted tubeless tyres to Land Rover series tubed rims, if so did they have any problems, thanks

Alan Drover

:teacher Don't even think about it.

Tubed rims don't have the lip like the tubeless rim in my photo to stop the tyre coming off the rim and you're likely to be in trouble in the event of an accident and the insurance are unlikely to pay out.
It would be an MOT failure too if the tester realises there's no tube and the tubed rim won't be airtight. 

It's highly dangerous and irresponsible.
No reputable tyre fitting business would fit tubeless tyres to tubed rims without a tube
Buy either tubes or tubeless rims and stay safe.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

NoBeardNoTopKnot

There's something that gets imbibed with LR ownership whereby standard rules are present, often with laws to go with, yet somehow because we're LR owners, these don't apply to us.

See it all over LR forums, usually with attempts to save a tenner. No one says a word, in fact, far from it. When held to account there's uproar. It's not clear what can be done about this. Likely nothing.

autorover1

Quote from: Bigdog on Jan 24, 2024, 07:46 PMHas anyone ever fitted tubeless tyres to Land Rover series tubed rims, if so did they have any problems, thanks
I know Land Rovers are dont have the road holding of the old BMC Mini , but I was in at my local ATS Tyre Depot, and I got talking about this exact subject  and the Manager showed a couple of old mini wheels ( No humps, designed for cross plys) with radial tubeless tyres  that had become unseated and immediately deflated on hard cornering. . This is what can happen in extremis , such as trying to avoid accident, exactly when you dont want it to happen. 

Wittsend

And this can happen with Land Rovers, particularly when off roading/green laning - you could hit a tree stump or a rock and with a tubeless tyre you could get a deflation, whereas a tube tyre may well hold the air if you give it a real big clout.

How often do you get punctures in Land Rover tyres ???
Patching a tube is a good simple repair, not so easy with a tubeless tyre - I'm thinking of driving in remote places/expeditions where tyre shops are not that local.
Of course you'll have a spare wheel ... but nevertheless ???

w3526602

Hi,

If you are going into serious outback, remember that you have "factory" provision for THREE spare wheels ... bonnet, rear door, and tub-bulkhead.

Me? I always aimed at having two spares ... bonnet and rear door ... though I never got round to fitting a "swing-away" rear spare carrier. Anybody got piccy of the latter?

Old Hywel

Quote from: w3526602 on Jan 25, 2024, 07:55 PM. . . . you have "factory" provision for THREE spare wheels ... bonnet, rear door, and tub-bulkhead.
Only if you have a rear door.

biloxi

When traveling the outback in our LWB rag top, to start off with we carried 2 spares in the back. On the bonnet we carried
a tyre only with 33m of capstan winch rope coiled up inside. We did this till we had a flat in the rain and had to unload
the whole car to get at the spare. From then on we carried one spare on the bonnet and one in the back.(Depending on destination and
terrain). Carrying two spares also enabled us to pick a suitable spot of our choosing to repair the tyre.
You soon learn what works and what doesn't.
.W.

F Meakin

Hi can anyone recommend a good size radial tyre to replace my 7.50/16 please

John

Quote from: F Meakin on Feb 14, 2024, 03:13 PMHi can anyone recommend a good size radial tyre to replace my 7.50/16 please
I'm not saying your wrong but can I ask why, I'm interested as I was thinking of changing my 235/85's to 750's as I thought it would make the steering lighter, when the time comes
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum