1962 2.25 P what color should the water pump be?

Started by island dormy, Feb 01, 2024, 12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

island dormy

Hi Guys

I'm installing a new water pump on my 1962 Dormobile 2.25 P.
 What color should the water pump body be?
 The old one was semi gloss black.

Thank  Victor
1962 Dormobile in the family since 1964
1969 NADA Dormobile 2.6L #800 out of 811 NADAS built

w3526602

Hi,

I suggest any colour that contrasts with the colour of the engine.

Mainly used for painting cylinder heads and cylinder blocks, the above ploy makes it easy the see where to hammer the screwdriver in.

Craig T

I went through this recently on my series one engine.
My pump had traces of an olive green colour in the corners of the casting which I think we concluded was the colour various replacement pumps used to be supplied in, Unipart components perhaps.

I ended up painting it the same grey as the main engine block and cylinder head and I did the same on my IIA engine painting it the same duck-egg blue colour.

I wouldn't be surprised if the water pumps were sub-contracted out to another manufacturer and were fitted in a different colour but no concrete evidence (I've found) to show what colour they should be.

Craig.

Peter Holden

I shall be painting my spreadbore water pump black

Peter

geoff

Exile

Quote from: geoff on Feb 01, 2024, 01:15 PMAs per cylinder head  :RHD

I would agree.

I've just finished painting a rebuilt 2lt diesel engine, in the correct grey.

The water pump was painted the same colour.

I can't remember seeing a water pump in a contrasting colour to the engine/cylinder head  (but someone might have..... ;) )

island dormy

Thanks guys, all good suggestions I like the look of the grey water pump and that is also the correct color of my engine, so grey it is.

The last water pump lasted 21 years and it was black, maybe that's the way it came from the parts supplier last time I renewed it?

Victor
1962 Dormobile in the family since 1964
1969 NADA Dormobile 2.6L #800 out of 811 NADAS built