News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

‘Gentle’ Off-Road Options in Cheshire?

Started by Mefster, Sep 06, 2023, 10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mefster

It's my sons' last day off school and I'm off with them so we have a free day. As the sun is shining I thought it might be fun to go out for a bit of a drive and maybe take the Land Rover for a little off-road pootle.  I know there aren't a huge network of green lanes near us (I live near Knutsford), but I wondered if anyone had any suggestions of any places we could explore or tag onto our drive for a little bit of light adventure.  I'm not after anything really extreme where it's likely to get stuck, swamped or roll, just a gentle into for them to off road driving.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful

Mefster

Quote from: 2286 on Sep 06, 2023, 10:24 AMNot sure of site content but this maybe a starting point

https://www.glass-uk.org/about/where-can-i-drive

Thanks for this. I'd already had a look at the site- some useful information.

Was considering heading into North Wales as there are a few more options there.  I've heard good things about the Wayfarer's Track near Corwen. Does anyone have and recent experience of this?

Noddy

Streetmap has OS based maps if you want to have a look around a particular area first. Also use Google Earth to fly a lane to get an idea of what it is like and to look at the start and finish where it leaves the tarmac. Be prepared to turn back if conditions look too severe for your liking. GLASS is the place to go if you want to go greenlaning if it's off-roading then look for the pay and play sites.

Alec

Mefster

Pleasant 90 min drive to the start of The Wayfarers' to find it's closed (and has been for nearly 18 months)

I'd read reports of people taking 2WD road cars over and know a motoring journalist who took an Evoque over.  Spoke to the farmer at the bottom who said it's soft and badly rutted at the top.  Even well prepped off roaders have got stuck.

Will need to rethink my intro to green laning- maybe wait until there is a group going out...

The problem with laning is that the weather, usage and sometimes vindictive objectional folk can cause them to close with short or no notice.

Hence it always useful to put out a request to those who have used them most recently as you did.

There are those who tear up the place, get stuck, then use whatever is to hand, usually stone walls to extricate.  They litter the the place with food drink and vehicle parts and we all get tarred with the same brush.

Landowners rightly take issue with damage to property that need not be done.
Some time they block legitimate rights of way and dispute there existence or credibility.

You were lucky to get the talking informative farmer, not the shotgun waving, dog loosing type.  Or the one who lets you carry on knowing full well its closed or impassable just to see how stuck you get!

Mefster

Quote from: 2286 on Sep 07, 2023, 12:15 PMThe problem with laning is that the weather, usage and sometimes vindictive objectional folk can cause them to close with short or no notice.

Hence it always useful to put out a request to those who have used them most recently as you did.

There are those who tear up the place, get stuck, then use whatever is to hand, usually stone walls to extricate.  They litter the the place with food drink and vehicle parts and we all get tarred with the same brush.

Some time they block legitimate rights of way and dispute there existence or credibility.

You were lucky to get the talking informative farmer, not the shotgun waving, dog loosing type.  Or the one who lets you carry on knowing full well its closed or impassable just to see how stuck you get!

Agreed.  I had tried to research recent usage/closures as far as possible.  I'd seen mention of it being closed for 2 months over a year ago my the council for urgent repairs. I think the farmer did arrive looking slightly more confrontational, but when he realised I hadn't attempted to ignore the closure and wasn't planning on he was much more friendly.

Even suggested another route I may try (although when I got to that there was a closure sign on it!)

I'll sort out my clunking transmission and then plan another route before the weather breaks!

Davidss

You appear determined to go 'laning', so why not join the Green Lane Association?
You not only gain access to the Trailwise database, but also the Area Representative who will be able to offer advice about access.

Regards.

Quote from: Mefster on Sep 08, 2023, 07:05 AM
Quote from: 2286 on Sep 07, 2023, 12:15 PMThe problem with laning is that the weather, usage and sometimes vindictive objectional folk can cause them to close with short or no notice.

Agreed.  I had tried to research recent usage/closures as far as possible.  I'd seen mention of it being closed for 2 months over a year ago my the council for urgent repairs. I think the farmer did arrive looking slightly more confrontational, but when he realised I hadn't attempted to ignore the closure and wasn't planning on he was much more friendly.

Even suggested another route I may try (although when I got to that there was a closure sign on it!)

I'll sort out my clunking transmission and then plan another route before the weather breaks!

I have used tracks in Derbyshire and Staffordshire some of which tip over briefly into neighbouring Cheshire Macclesfield forest/Goyt Dane valley.

I have encountered landowners who have put logs, sleepers concrete blocks and implements to block routes intentionally for there own ends this with or against the rulings of the local authorities.

On the flipside I have seen tracks that have been used and respected absolutely shredded by vehicles that have massive lifts and tyres making them impassable to those with normal diff clearance.

It upsets me when the countryside is abused fly tipping and burnt out cars dump typically just of main roads out of sight at the start of green lanes.

The chap with the wrangler is in glass, prior to that he got his intelligence and status reports from his neighbour who was a peak district ranger.

The rangers depending on which location you are heading may be worth asking.

Mefster

Quote from: Davidss on Sep 08, 2023, 09:36 AMYou appear determined to go 'laning', so why not join the Green Lane Association?
You not only gain access to the Trailwise database, but also the Area Representative who will be able to offer advice about access.

Regards.

I think my idea of the laning I'd like to do is very much the mild side: unmetalled roads or routes with a few undulations.  Don't really want to be subjecting my truck to big drops or having to cut back foliage or dig/winch out!  Will definitely join the Green Lane Association though 

Davidss

Quote from: Mefster on Sep 09, 2023, 08:37 AMI think my idea of the laning I'd like to do is very much the mild side: unmetalled roads or routes with a few undulations.  Don't really want to be subjecting my truck to big drops or having to cut back foliage or dig/winch out!  Will definitely join the Green Lane Association though 

Hmm, given the lack of use during COVID, which still affects overgrown lanes, you should accept the effects of that overgrowth on the paintwork, or take and use hedge shears and secateurs. The sure fire way to avoid that is to restrict your use of lanes to those above the tree line, IE there are no hedges, and trees are a rarity, so field boundaries are stone walls.

I agree with your preference of avoiding big drops or digging out.

Regards.

There was a route the far side of chapel en le frith that is now closed.

We encountered a couple of vehicles on of which was a series with a capstan winch, that was being put to intended use.

I agree that tame rather than extreme is the preference.  There is the old road out of buxton that is strewn with large rocks and you wonder why you have bothered it is that jolting.

A little difficulty does make for good memories.

Better to cut back if in doubt, as even if you think you can squeeze through, if the vehicle kicks or slides over branches will leave their mark.

Deeman

Re the Wayfarer green lane near Corwen; I walked much of this a few months ago and was open to traffic from the Llandrillo as far as Memorial Stone. According to signs it has been repaired with support from Glass and others. However it appeared closed from Memorial Stone to Llamarmon DC due to damage.

The route or area chapel en le frith that I am told is now closed was called 'Perryfoot'

Always worth checking in case its status changes.

Davidss

Quote from: 2286 on Oct 02, 2023, 01:01 PMThe route or area chapel en le frith that I am told is now closed was called 'Perryfoot'

Always worth checking in case its status changes.

Can you give a more precise location please?
I also note that Chapel-en-le Frith is not in or on the border of Cheshire, which is the area the original poster was inquiring about.

I am aware of the habitation are call Perryfoot on OS mapping, and it is within driving distance of Chapel-en-le Frith, however the DCC online definitive map does not show any BOATS near that area.
The two routes nearest to Perryfoot are called Chapel Gate and Roych Clough. Both were closed by TROs raised by the Peak District National Park Authority. No change in their status can be expected, ever.

Regards.