radio

Started by [email protected], Sep 18, 2023, 09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Ed

Everyday better...
88 Station Wagon 1966
Ex Army

NoBeardNoTopKnot

That'd work for fun use. Trouble with those hide-it-behind set-ups is that modern tech needs buttons. And old tech has few. Thus you're tied to period interfaces. Or twiddling with phone for audio etc.

Faced with hiding it behind old and period or retro-fake, I came to the conclusion why bother, find the best modern kit I could, that looks OKish. But then again, I near live in mine. It's more 'daily use resto-mod' than classic. Can't be doing with audio for occasional use.

Here's my set-up. DAB Kenwood unit with 4 x speakers, one to each corner of roof-liner, those driven by a separate amp. Camera makes it look brash, it's far less harsh in the flesh. DAB supresses the noise present in FM. Ambient noise via transmission/ engine has been knocked for dead. Even the La Salle liner has heaps of sound-blanket behind it. There's some 4-5 inches of the stuff between me and the gearbox, and the bulkhead. Wright-off-road matt too. Stable-matts everywhere else.  All this talk of LRs having to be noisy is not true, however it's not one quick cure. You will have to work at it.

And yes, that is a coiler wash/wipe door.

Alan Drover

I had a radio in the mezzanine La Salle headlining above the windscreen. The radio filled up with water from condensation.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Three things prevent that here:

1) I've an inner liner round that Kenwood unit.
2) Modern units don't require the depth of older CD player units, thus don't sit where the water drops - they're higher up.
3) Insulation stops the condensation.

These days LaSalle allow you to make a better job of rear speaker placement with moulded pods, much like the fronts seen here.

Acoustically, 4 x speakers makes a huge difference to the depth and separation of the sound.

GlenAnderson

A LaSalle headliner is one of the things I'd like to get for my 109". There's a few other jobs to do first though. I had their truck cab one on my 88" years ago and it was very good.

I won't be using a high mount for the radio though. When you get to a certain age, it's a fact of life that corrective lenses of some sort are a necessity, not a luxury, and trying to peer through the bottom part of your glasses at something above your head simply isn't safe to do while driving along. I will be fitting either a modern "mechless" unit equipped with "CarPlay" in the dash tray or, more likely, just a Bluetooth receiver driving a suitable amplifier and a decent holder for my phone somewhere I can easily see it. I have little tolerance for chatty DJs and repetitive radio playlists, and even less for adverts, so the vast bulk of my audio entertainment comes from iTunes anyway.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: GlenAnderson on Sep 21, 2023, 10:46 AMI won't be using a high mount for the radio though. When you get to a certain age, it's a fact of life that corrective lenses of some sort are a necessity, not a luxury, and trying to peer through the bottom part of your glasses at something above your head simply isn't safe to do while driving along. ...

I hear you. And the mindless DJ /advert thing. Trouble with music via your phone is I find I've  to fiddle with that too. Mine's set-up such that I can reach-up and 'feel' for buttons. Don't need to see the thing. If you stretch to a DAB you'll get more choices. I'm a BBC R4 listener, yet since I've had DAB I've been able to get BBC World Service and BBC R4 Extra. Aimed at a world audience, these extra stations quietly forget to feature the sexual-orientation / ethnicity/ political leanings of the program-makers with BBC R4. Fair enough I suppose, only I'm not sure why it's  requied in say, a gardening feature? And if DAB reception is patchy, a good unit will drop to its FM equiv. Mine does this seamlessly. Of course, don't expect this to work with DAB stations not paired to FM. Most are.

You might insist, only I've not found it necessary to state my ethnicity/ political leanings / sexual-orientation to use it.