News:

Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

20 MPH Speed Limits

Started by geoff, Sep 19, 2023, 07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoff

Many will be unaware that Wales has introduced a 20 MPH speed limit on most previous 30 MPH speed limit areas !

If you live in Wales as I do and object to such nanny state intervention and would like things to be returned to how they were please sign the official petition linked to below.

https://petitions.senedd.wales/petitions/245548

If you are in another part of the UK this could easily happen where YOU live as well so again I'd urge you to sign the petition.

Thank you,

Geoff.

I have to say there is limited Series content here but having said this even my Series dislikes 20 mph

Bradley66

Salisbury has had a 20 limit within the city itself for years. It's going to happen all over , like or not. We all have a vote , use it .

Alan Drover

20 mph is ok for residential streets but not a blanket coverage for all urban streets. My road and the neighbouring roads are purely residential and I drive them at 20 because of all the parked cars to get to the main road where I can safely do 30 and to make that road 20 would be insane.
My Series 3 is happy at 20 in top.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

DogDave

Signed in support, hopefully this nonsense gets stopped.

geoff

Thanks Dave  :cheers-man

Currently 269,000 signatures  :RHD

Given England is x 18 the population of Wales this is the equivalent of

over 8.5 % of the population of England or 4.8 million signatures  --- a lot of people !

RATA1

I have done it too and passed to my Welsh friends.

20mph round schools/shops etc is fine - but that is common sense, but a blanket one is not a good idea and another lazy implementation of someone's apparent good idea. ??? 

These days everything seems to been dumbed down (to the lowest common denominator).

It's a limit not a target. :ranting
S2 88
D4 XXV

John

Quote from: RATA1 on Sep 20, 2023, 12:04 PMI have done it too and passed to my Welsh friends.

20mph round schools/shops etc is fine - but that is common sense, but a blanket one is not a good idea

I've signed up and passed it on :ranting
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

N

I fully support the 20mph limit, so I won't be signing or passing it on. Hopefully it will prove to be a success and can be rolled out elsewhere.

John

Regardless of anyone's views on road safety,
will the 20 mph limit in Wales, (in certain areas),
increase or decrease air pollution in those areas ???

autorover1

I like the way the Welch Assembly has  passed on the speed limits selection to local councils. The default in the old 30mph areas is 20 mph but local governments can implement easements , but of course that all costs addition money from local residents  !

Old Hywel

St Brides Major (just south of Bridgend) has had a 20 limit for the past few years, as part of the trial. Exactly a mile from end to end, it's now split into a 30 and 20 length.
The road through neighbouring Wick, probably little more than half a mile long, now has 30/20/30 sections. This in addition to pedestrian controlled traffic lights.

I've yet to see evidence of dramatic reductions in road casualties locally.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

20mph Wow! Stuff of dreams. One day mine will be that fast.

geoff

Quote from: NoBeardNoTopKnot on Sep 20, 2023, 01:47 PM20mph Wow! Stuff of dreams. One day mine will be that fast too.

Best buy a 101 "

John

I see there are now about 350,000 votes against the 20 mph limit but I doubt our Welsh goverment will consider taking any notice :shakinghead

w3526602

Hi,

More years ago than I care to remember, the UK introduced a 50mph limit ... I can't remember exactly what circumstances.

The accident rate increased, due to long trains of closely bunched cars, all following a law-abiding leader, resulting in bunching.

Cars usually, or used to, travel at their most economical, by accelerating rapidly to their "best condition" ...usually at 50% of the maximum BHP RPM .... which will probably be equal to the maximum torque RPM.