News:

Happy Star Wars Day   ... 

Main Menu

20 MPH Speed Limits

Started by geoff, Sep 19, 2023, 07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonhutchings

Looking at the welsh government map of roads impacted, I'd say if you live outside cardiff you'd be unlikely to see a change. I think the media has portrayed (certainly outside wales) this as all 30 mph road have become 20mph, whereas the reality is 30mph roads in built up areas may have become 20mph roads, unless the local authority has exempted them (and quite a few have been exempted)

(you may need to turn on the various layers on the map to see the 20 and 30mph roads)
https://datamap.gov.wales/maps/roads-affected-by-changes-to-the-speed-limit-on-re/view#/
For example it seems no roads in swansea have been changed, whereas most in cardiff are now 20mph.

Personally I think it's a good thing in built up areas and would like to see it extended to some country roads as well

geoff

I'm outside of Cardiff and where I live there are a LOT of roads affected - I don't mean side roads on housing estates I mean on main linking roads.

My road back from town is one and a half miles long to my house ( it does extend further ) and travelling at 15 to 17 mph all the way is insane .... note it is a wide road, not crammed with houses, no schools, no hospitals either.

You want it extended well each to their own of course but I'd say be carefull what you wish for you may end up regretting

Quote from: John on Sep 21, 2023, 02:54 PMI see there are now about 350,000 votes against the 20 mph limit but I doubt our Welsh goverment will consider taking any notice :shakinghead

They / he won't (Dripford ) take any notice at all and will come up with all sorts of tripe to justify it.

Folks have to protest of course !!

Think back to the Poll Tax from Maggy Thatcher if nobody complained then we'd still have it now ....

350,000 signatures in Wales is the equivalent to 6.3 Million signatures in England alone !! pro rata total population

Alan Drover

The 50 mph national speed limit was introduced during the wars in the Middle East to conserve fuel. It got as far as motorists were issued with petrol and diesel ration coupons. Fortunately it didn't get that far.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Wittsend

1973 petrol crisis when they issued petrol coupons ...

Still have mine - just in case :cheers-man

Old Hywel

Quote from: w3526602 on Sep 21, 2023, 03:59 PMCars usually, or used to, travel at their most economical, by accelerating rapidly to their "best condition" ...

No. Accelerating rapidly is the worst thing you can do for fuel economy.

Alan Drover

I couldn't remember the year but I remember I was running a MK1 1965 Austin 1800 at that time.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Beowulf

You would have thought political decisions like this would first have been piloted/canvased to gauge public support or else you're just helping to vote yourself out of office. And assuming that they were, we have to assume many/most of the public agree.
I don't like these blanket restrictions, much better to identify specific risk areas, such as schools, and use speed cameras & physical measures to help enforcement.
Whatever your opinion though, there's no ignoring these very stark figures.
Apparently, these are the results of a pedestrian being hit by a vehicle travelling at:

40 mph, you have a 90% chance of being killed.
35 mph, you have a 50% chance of being killed.
30 mph, you have a 20% chance of being killed.
20 mph, you have a 2.5% chance of being killed.
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

Worf

If you are run over(as against being hit) by a vehicle, speed wont really affect the outcome. I wonder if the stats differentiate between the two scenarios ???
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an appen nob'dy 'll notice."

John

Whilst I agree with a 20mph limit outside schools in school hours are there any figures taken on air quality in these areas to compare traffic at 20mph in 3rd gear? or 30mph in 4th gear....
 ... just a thought???
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

GlenAnderson

Quote from: Old Hywel on Sep 21, 2023, 06:32 PM
Quote from: w3526602 on Sep 21, 2023, 03:59 PMCars usually, or used to, travel at their most economical, by accelerating rapidly to their "best condition" ...

No. Accelerating rapidly is the worst thing you can do for fuel economy.

"Coast and burn" is actually a recognised hypermiling technique. Accelerating rapidly within the engine's peak torque rev band is the most fuel efficient way of gaining speed.

Beowulf

Quote from: Worf on Sep 22, 2023, 06:12 PMIf you are run over(as against being hit) by a vehicle, speed wont really affect the outcome. I wonder if the stats differentiate between the two scenarios ???
A good question, although don`t you first have to be hit before you are runover, unless you're laying on the road that is ???
The faster you are traveling, the greater the kinetic energy brought to bear, therefore your speed at the time of impact with the pedestrian is a key determining factor in the outcome.
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

Paul4978

Signed. 400K+ now
I'm all for 20mph in selected danger areas, not a blanket change as there will be more pollution and problems for deliveries and carers, district nurses etc
Not in wales atm but suspect this may be my next purchase for an around town car

GlenAnderson

My personal experience of the 20mph speed limits in London is that the traffic actually seems to move quicker and more smoothly. Despite the limit being decreased, actual average speeds are up, and the bunching and clogging of junctions is lessened considerably without those who choose to sprint between them. The last time I crossed town it took me about ten minutes less, even without going over 20, than it used to take me at the same time of day.

Anecdotal evidence is just an anecdote though. Your experience may vary.

I think urban 20mph limits are no bad thing; providing those who extract the urine actually face some penalty.

Clifford Pope

The main thing I've noticed so far is a confusing inconsistency. Some signs have been changed to 20, most not. But it's not clear yet whether that means they are specific exceptions or simply that they haven't got round to changing them yet.
There's one road near us where new flashing red 20 signs have been erected next to the old 30 signs, and another where the limit in one direction has been changed but not in the other.

The official leaflet says it's easy to tell- street lights mean it's 20. But that's obviously not true.

Anyway we apparently have a year "to get used to it".

Rog-from-Bix

I wonder if being hit by a modern car at 30 would do less damage to a pedestrian than being hit by a series 2 at 20.