News:

Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

20 MPH Speed Limits

Started by geoff, Sep 19, 2023, 07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlenAnderson

Quote from: Rog-from-Bix on Sep 24, 2023, 04:41 PMI wonder if being hit by a modern car at 30 would do less damage to a pedestrian than being hit by a series 2 at 20.

Being hit by either at 20 would be exponentially more survivable than being hit by them at 30.

If legislation is going to have a detrimental effect on the way we drive, I'd sooner keep driving my series at a lower speed than have to drive something else.

Beowulf

Quote from: GlenAnderson on Sep 22, 2023, 06:45 PM
Quote from: Old Hywel on Sep 21, 2023, 06:32 PM
Quote from: w3526602 on Sep 21, 2023, 03:59 PMCars usually, or used to, travel at their most economical, by accelerating rapidly to their "best condition" ...

No. Accelerating rapidly is the worst thing you can do for fuel economy.

"Coast and burn" is actually a recognised hypermiling technique. Accelerating rapidly within the engine's peak torque rev band is the most fuel efficient way of gaining speed.
I agree ^^^, depending on road conditions, gaining speed and moving into top gear quickly, (within legal speed limits) can be much more fuel efficient than doddering along in low gear. If the road is reasonably long, you`ll be in high gear for a proportionately much longer time. The opposite applies to the Captain Slow approach. Caveat: always drive within the limits & capabilities of you & the car. By the way, I`m not saying you should be ragging the arse out of it.

Glen, you mention Coast & Burn, I think its worth noting that whilst coasting is not illegal in the UK, you could end up being prosecuted for not being in full control of a vehicle, this might effect your insurance to. Of course they would first have to establish that you were or had been coasting anyway  ;)

But having said that, I have used coasting in a limited way, when approaching traffic lights and roundabouts I will often knock it into neutral and just gently roll up to a stop. I was about to say just be sensible and use your common sense, but those words, and their meaning, aren't understood by everybody  :shakinghead  There I've said it anyway  :cheers   
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

Wittsend

If the eco-warriors get their way we'll all soon be needing one of these  :confused

(20 mph will be but a dream)

:snowman

Worf

Around here, nobody seems to be taking any notice and still doing 30mph apart from past the school which seems the sensible thing. Havent seen  any plods at all on my travels so far.
Petition is now reaching the number of people who voted for Dripford at the last Senedd election, but that fact will probably be ignored :confused
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an appen nob'dy 'll notice."

John

Around her we have sections of roads with a 30mph sign at one end and 20mph at the other :confused

and I have noticed again round here you can drive for over a mile in a built up area with no signs at all but I think they were like that before, I was once told that if lamp posts were a certain distance apart??? the speep limit was 30mph but may not now be true and hard to measure when you drive along. There is nothing wrong with speed limits but they need to be clearly signed or marked :thud
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

Alan Drover

The lamp post rule still applies for 30mph. Any other speed restrictions must have repeater signs every so often on lampposts or roadside.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Wittsend

Round here there are so many potholes that 20 mph is a real challenge  :shakinghead

Maybe we should withhold paying road tax ???
Oh ... hang on a moment  :thud

Alan Drover

I can remember in the 1950's commercial vehicles were limited to 20 mph. They had painted 20's on the rear mudguards. Even my Dinky Toy Foden lorry had a 20 on it.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

geoff

^^^^ That must be Mark Drakefords motivation ( or dementure coming out Lol !! )

He is retiring soon so maybe he'll get his own Dinky Fodens out

Petition currently at 456,192 signatures

or ... the equivalent of 8,250,000 English signatures pro rata whole population age .... quite a few people !

w3526602

Hi,

My son, when young, assured me that 40mph was not fast.

I suggested that he closed his eyes ... and walked into a lamp-post at sub-4mph.

Worf

I dont think Drakeford can even drive.
The drivers who used to creep about at just over 20mph are now doing around 10mph.
Braking going uphill :confused

I'm afraid the man reminds me of a senile turtle dressed up as an undertaker.
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an appen nob'dy 'll notice."

Wittsend

We have very poor "leaders" ... our great nation deserves so much better.

Gone are the days when real statesmen ran the country and Britain ruled the waves.

Let's not list/name these losers here, we know who they are.

Maybe they should hold a referendum on the 20 mph and the ULEZ thing ???
but - 1st rule of politics - never hold a referendum if you don't know the outcome  :shakinghead

Someone must be voting for these people  :confused
You get what you (don't) vote for.
Use you vote

geoff

Quote from: Wittsend on Oct 03, 2023, 02:29 PMWe have very poor "leaders" ... our great nation deserves so much better.

Let's not list/name these losers here, we know who they are.

Use you vote

1/  Yes

2/  Yes, sorry

3/  Yes the vote ........... the days of the Welsh blindly voting for any blind deaf and dum buffoon wearing a coloured rosette  because their parents did are still with us.   

Wittsend

Thing is ... it's not just Wales, it's all of the UK  :shakinghead

geoff

Condolences sincerely offered  :shakinghead