What’s the deal with all the orange chassis paint?

Started by Rock Star Eddie, Apr 07, 2024, 11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock Star Eddie

The warmer weather has just started to arrive and I am in the midst of power washing my chassis etc.

My power washer is blowing the grease - and in many cases - black paint off of the springs axles and frame.

Underneath there is orange paint everywhere. Wondering if it is the primer, a project by a previous owner who owned an orange paint factory, or if this is an odd scenario on mine.

Any thoughts?

Eddie J DeJong
1961 Series IIa 88 SW Safari Top
1954 Series I 107 Pickup (Sold)
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9

geoff

Probably just a case of someone tarting up a Land Rover in the past and they thought orange would look " cool "

Thankfully fashions come and go  :cheers

diffwhine

Either the PO owned an orange paint factory or crashed into one, but it's not original.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

autorover1

My old 1961 Rover P4 was painted all over the chassis parts with a similar colour paint & it had lasted well as an extra layer . Underneath was the original chassis black. I think the orange  was a common chassis paint at the time .  Yours is showing the orange paint on the bolts and dampers , which was not a production process , therefore an after sales process by a previous owner .

Wittsend

Back in the day when we were allowed "dangerous" substances one thing not mentioned in our recent topic was Red Lead paint. It was often used as a primer for steel things, such as the Forth Railway bridge.

Red Lead is a darker and duller colour than that seen in these pics.

Looks to me like someone got a few tins of orange paint "free" from work  ???
It also looks like it's been applied over unprepared parts as it seems to have been chipped away in patches.

:RHD

John

When I bought my 11a in early 1990 all the chassis was painted in bright orange, the PO said it was a lead based marine paint, it was in a coastal area.
Over the years it has gone to black paint/black waxoil
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

Richard

Or minium maybe? A PO trying to protect metal parts from rusting?
Richard
'64 S2a

Oddjob

The Coolnvintage company built a defender with this chassis.
I quite like it. Would be a conversation starter and maybe even be a theft deterrent as it's pretty identifiable!

Old Hywel

A local machinery dealer supplied a number of items in a muddy brown colour. It was reported to be anti-fouling paint. Must have been good stuff, we never had barnacles on our bale sledge.

Rock Star Eddie

Eddie J DeJong
1961 Series IIa 88 SW Safari Top
1954 Series I 107 Pickup (Sold)
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9

Daisythelandie

Way back when Red Lead was 'banned' we had a new primer for our steel products which was bright orange as per the OP's chassis so I would suggest it's good to last this long.

Dave.
Dave & Daisy the Landy, 31 years of ownership and still smiling.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Ah, back in the day that sort of thing was de riguer.

Halycon days when favourite boy-racer colour was grey or red primer, and as LRs dropped down the food-chain all sorts of abortions were a norm. See this on eBay. The herd-choice from the era can be seen with cover-pix for late 90s editions of LRO. It's still happening, the current trend is 'drug-dealer' black, and from the same demographic.

At root has anything changed? Nope.

Beowulf

Was it JLR who predicted "The Futures Bright, The Futures Orange"?  ;)
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

Clifford Pope

https://www.traditionalboatsupplies.com/index.php?id_category=33&controller=category&id_lang=2

Lead-based paints, fillers etc are still available from marine chandlers, and also I think for use on listed buildings. "Red" lead is not really red, but a kind of reddy orange. Various other lead products, chromates, oxides etc ranged in colour from white, yellows, oranges, almost to red.

That's not to say that the chassis in question isn't just a one-time fashion accessory in ordinary Dulux.

Richard

Quote from: Beowulf on Apr 10, 2024, 07:24 AMWas it JLR who predicted "The Futures Bright, The Futures Orange"?  ;)
Or JFK in 1962...
Richard
'64 S2a