What’s the deal with all the orange chassis paint?

Started by Rock Star Eddie, Apr 07, 2024, 11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uffddd

It could well be red lead primer. I don't remember it being quite so dayglow but I'd still be very wary of ingesting any that comes loose.

Worf

I used to paint everything with zinc chromate primer. Excellent stuff when it was still available, but the colour was more yellow than orange.
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an appen nob'dy 'll notice."

autorover1

We still had lead loading for joints and contours in steel car bodies when I started work (1964) and the people working using  lead were issued with  milk allowance  as part of the mitigation measures as it is believed the calcium inhibits lead absorption  . I gather the efficacy has been somewhat questioned now.

Smokey 11a

Back in the early 1970's we painted a Lambretta TV 175 with Anti foul paint as used on the oil rigs "acquired" 5 gallons by my friends dad, who was a rigger on the rigs in the North sea at the time. Bright orange and flowed out as if it had been sprayed.

Betsy1969

When I bought my S2a the previous owner said it had been "Ziebarted " I remember that was the thing to do back in the day , my uncle had his cavalier done with it. My chassis is covered in that orange stuff so I wonder if that's the Ziebart ?

Alan Drover

Ziebart was black. My MGB GT was done before I bought it.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Wittsend

"Ziebart" was a bespoke underseal treatment carried out by one of a chain of places that applied the treatment. I'm not sure that the substance was sold direct to the public.
They had your car for a day to apply it. It was a "thing"m in the '70s.

It was black.

I had a new car so treated, but unfortunately the car was wiped out in an accident and I never got to test how good at keeping then rust at bay it was  :'(

Alan Drover

I wasn't over impressed with it. My MGB was second hand and I noticed rust patches appeared although a good few years later. I think it had to be inspected annually to keep the guarantee. It just delayed the onslaught of rust.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Rock Star Eddie

Whatever it is, it's on there solid, which is surprising considering how difficult it must be to keep any kind of chassis paint sticking to a Land Rover chassis at the best of times.
Eddie J DeJong
1961 Series IIa 88 SW Safari Top
1954 Series I 107 Pickup (Sold)
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9

GHOBHW

I've found the secret to getting paint to stick forever is not caring.

you try your hardest and clean everything and the paint will last a few years.

meanwhile you use a sweeping brush to put any old crap on over mud, grease and rust and it sticks forever and won't come off :cheers

Betsy1969

So it looks like this orange stuff is some type of red lead then !
Well whatever it might be it's really solid and so is my chassis , it rings when you hit it. I know the rear crossmember isn't original because it doesn't have the hole for a PTO and the front dumb irons have been replaced at some time. Other than that I assume it's the original chassis