News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

military timing marks?.

Started by Dazzerpig, Apr 10, 2024, 05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dazzerpig

ex military 2.5 n/a diesel, thought i would change timing belt and tensioner and a few other jobs before i do an engine swap, appears the military have there own timing marks, engine ran fine before taking out of the doner vehicles maybe i should stick with them and not the proper markings?.

diffwhine

How does everything look if you time it up correctly and get a timing pin in the flywheel housing? I can't see the military allowing it to be bodged - do you know its past history at all?
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Dazzerpig

hi diffwine,as yet i haven't checked that part yet,i do know its an early one with a timing marker on the flywheel housing and not a hole to fit the pin came out of a 1986 110,rebuilt by the military in dec 2002,with 126,000 kl,approx 76,000 miles on the clock.
also just watched a video on you tube where they do a timing belt on a 2.5 without the head on and apparently with the markers lined up number 1 piston is not at top dead centre, which is apparently normal on these? so maybe the military have reset it so it is tdc?.

diffwhine

The WSM states to line to flywheel up with the pointer at EP, not TDC, so I am surprised to see this. Do you need a copy of this part of the WSM? If need be, I can post the relevant pages.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Dazzerpig

hi diffwhine,thanks for your offer but do a have wsm,but just been out to play again and found i have cover and blanking plug on flywheel housing(no pointer or ep mark on flywheel)lined up timing marks and dropped lock pin in and all lines up perfect,dont know what the red markers are but totally foxed me,thanks for your help

Carlos Fandango

Going off at a slight tangent here, Have you fitted this engine or about to ? Reason for asking is I have the same engine fitted in a very early s3 109, I've suffered a couple of premature exhaust fractures which I think may be due to the way I have fixed the engine mounts, So I'm interested in how yours is done.
Note I've used 2 1/4 manifold and original 2 1/4 exhaust system.

Dazzerpig

hi Calos,i'm hoping to fit over the may bank holiday weekend (wifey permitting)trying to do service bits in-between decorating and when she is out,i have a 2.5n/a diesel out of a sherpa all ready fitted but will need to swap some bits from it to the new one, it also has the Steve Parker exhaust conversion fitted.
i've also fitted the Glyncolne engineering defender engine and gearbox mounts which are worth the extra cost.i do have a spare 2.5 manifold should you need one.and look at rimmers web site, they do a larger bore exhaust which is cheeper than Parkers?.

Old Hywel

Can you get timing belt kit for Sherpa 15J ? I thought the stocks ran out years ago.

Dazzerpig

hens teeth, mines a 12j,luckerly i brought 2 about 6 years ago so  have one going begging.