News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

GALVANISING COMPANIES

Started by NJAckers, Jul 25, 2023, 01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJAckers

Hello,

I would be interested in recommendations for companies that do good quality galvanising specifically for Series 2 cappings and windscreen surround.  Those on my vehicle have been 're-galvanised' some years ago but the standard is really poor, being uneven and covered in lumps of snot.  I have a one-off opportunity to do do something about this but want to be confident that I can improve on what I have at present.
I have heard that modern galvanising is generally not as good as when Series 2s were being manufactured but it would be great if somebody has evidence that this is not true and can name a company that still operates to old school standards.

Thanks

GHOBHW

I heard its due to the chemicals used being different.

I've seen the same on new galvanised stuff, its really hit or miss. going to try a local company to me later in the year for my stuff. will report back to the forum when I do.

if you have a look at some of the american companies building series land rovers, their galvanised stuff looks great every time. I'm sure due to not as many regulations as we have.

chipbury

If you can find a local steel fabricator/blacksmith they might put some stuff in with their load.  I did this which worked well (I had to get the parts blasted first).

ChrisJC

I used Yorkshire Spin Galvanizing for my small parts. Highly recommended.

Chris.

diffwhine

How does the process work Chris? Do you bag up a pile of bits and just send them off or does it go in with other work? What sort of costs?
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Tom

I've just taken a batch to Arkinstall galvanising in Birmingham.
I took it all to a local shotblasters and paid £50 to have it all blasted and all paint removed. To be fair, I took a lot of bits, windscreens, Cappings, front panel, 109 wheel well and LOTS of small bits.

I dropped it off yesterday, and am expecting to collect either tomorrow or Thursday, and I'll update once I get the stuff back.

Tom

Whilst parts can be dropped off at Arkinstalls as removed straight off the vehicle, some parts they will get blasted locally to remove rust, paint, oils etc.

I believe their blasting charges are a bit steep, but I preferred the price and quality of my local place. I also got the chance to inspect the parts for warping from blasting, of which there was some.

I dropped the parts at the galvanising plant, literally as simple as park up, put it on a pallet, get it inspected, fill out my details and go on my merry way.

They have a minimum charge of £75 plus VAT, based on finished weight. I don't know what the weight is, or what the cost will be but I'm expecting around the £100-120 mark.

Their turnaround is 2/3 days from drop off, so I'm expecting a call in the next day or two to collect and I'll update on the quality then. I know there will be some snot and holes that need cleaning afterwards.

ChiefBeard

I know with any metal-finishing which requires plating in one form or another, there's some very noxious chemicals involved. Horrible, horrible fumes, acids and other nasties. Had proper stove-enamel (vitreous) work done -IOW.  That was not easy, quick or cheap.

ChrisJC

Quote from: diffwhine on Jul 25, 2023, 08:08 PMHow does the process work Chris? Do you bag up a pile of bits and just send them off or does it go in with other work? What sort of costs?
I had mine shotblasted locally before taking them to YSG. I was charged 116+VAT to have 35 small pieces done. It all fitted in one crate, the sort that are about 24" by 18" by 18".

I got the idea that they are always running their process, so my job was perfectly normal and fitted in. They do bigger stuff as well - I had my chassis done at Wedge in Haverhill, but it was a faff, so I would try YSG in the first instance for all my galv needs in the future.

Chris.

Bloke

Quote from: Tom on Jul 25, 2023, 08:36 PMWhilst parts can be dropped off at Arkinstalls as removed straight off the vehicle, some parts they will get blasted locally to remove rust, paint, oils etc.

I believe their blasting charges are a bit steep, but I preferred the price and quality of my local place. I also got the chance to inspect the parts for warping from blasting, of which there was some.

I dropped the parts at the galvanising plant, literally as simple as park up, put it on a pallet, get it inspected, fill out my details and go on my merry way.

They have a minimum charge of £75 plus VAT, based on finished weight. I don't know what the weight is, or what the cost will be but I'm expecting around the £100-120 mark.

Their turnaround is 2/3 days from drop off, so I'm expecting a call in the next day or two to collect and I'll update on the quality then. I know there will be some snot and holes that need cleaning afterwards.

Keep us updated, Tom. Arkinstalls are very local to me and I have a big batch of galvanising to be done later this year!  :cheers

Tom
1968 Series 2A 88" 2.25 Petrol (Mine)
1968 Series 2A 109" Station Wagon 2.6 Petrol (My Dad's)

Deverill

Pre Galvanized parts do not need to be shotblasted, but rust, paint and dum dum should always be removed. Wessex Galvanizing were I take mine charge an extra rate for pre galved parts as they acid dip them for longer. However in my opinion this is better than having them blasted as it strips the old galv off but doesn't texture the surface aggressively. Therefore potentially getting a better new galvanized finish.
Most galvanizers now have a minimum weight/rate. Honestly I think achieving the original look is difficult, I always have to fettle parts a bit.

Uffddd

Quote from: GHOBHW on Jul 25, 2023, 03:25 PMI heard its due to the chemicals used being different.

I've seen the same on new galvanised stuff, its really hit or miss. going to try a local company to me later in the year for my stuff. will report back to the forum when I do.

if you have a look at some of the american companies building series land rovers, their galvanised stuff looks great every time. I'm sure due to not as many regulations as we have.

America offers the opportunity to get anything done to any quality. My experience of galvanising on that side of the pond was disappointing. It was an anchor chain and it came back with the new galvanising already flaking off.

Ken

Down here at the bottom of Cornwall SJ Andrews and son in Redruth will accept parts for galvanising which they ship off to a galvaniser up county. Presumably by using them your items become part of a bigger batch and perhaps above the minimum order threshold.

Exile

I have heard that you get a better finish with spin galvanising than hot-dip. True?

I wasn't too impressed with Acrow galvanisers several years ago.

I wonder if having it done in Summer rather than Winter will get the drips to run off better, before solidifying as they did on mine?

I imagine that spin galvanising has a superior finish due to a more consistent coating that is not purely down to gravity and dripping.