News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

GALVANISING COMPANIES

Started by NJAckers, Jul 25, 2023, 01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

autorover1

Its only anecdotal, but I understand that thin delicate parts need a hotter zinc bath temperature than large heavy items, so the parts are hot for long enough after being withdrawn to give enough time for the zinc to run off , giving a good finish, not heavy & lumpy. I was speaking to an artist blacksmith who wanted a better finish on delicate work and asked the galvanisers to raise the bath temp. but was told that would cost many thousands of pounds and take a considerable time so was in their view totally uneconomic.   

I knew a galvaniser once and they told me that the baths are heated 365 as to let them cool and go from cold was more expensive.

They also told me that some staff members had been caught walking the zinc out of the door, the door they very soon after walked out of.

They told me that smaller parts go in with big dips, that I think was for economy but obviously all shapes and sizes are not well served by one temp fits all dunking.

I personally find new galvanising on old vehicles too stark, if it is simply dull and not rusting rotten or compromised then I leave it alone.

JohnR

I've used Clark-Drain in Peterborough a couple of times recently.

They do small batch work, £75 minimum charge. They are quite small and easy to deal with compared to some of the larger outfits that are more suited to galvanising a motorway bridge than a LR capping.

Finish is ok - although be prepared for some careful filing and grinding the remove drips and the odd bit of slag. This seems to be a feature of the process than the operator - I've not been successful in finding someone that can do what LR did 50 years ago. Maybe it's a thing of the past, consigned there by H&S and environmental issues.

Tom

An update, as promised.
It's clear that galvanising has increased in cost quite significantly over the past couple of years. I almost fell over when they told me this lot would be £290.
Absolutely cannot fault the staff at arkinstalls, superb bunch of guys.
The galvanising is very good. There are a few lumps and runs, a few sharp edges, and quite a few holes that need redrilling and threads retapping, as expected. It's clear just how spotless the parts must be though, I noticed my front panel wasn't perfect after blasting, with a bit of paint in the corners, and this hasn't taken well to the galvanising.
I'd definitely do it again though.

Quote from: JohnR on Aug 03, 2023, 07:17 PMI've used Clark-Drain in Peterborough a couple of times recently.

They do small batch work, £75 minimum charge. They are quite small and easy to deal with compared to some of the larger outfits that are more suited to galvanising a motorway bridge than a LR capping.

Finish is ok - although be prepared for some careful filing and grinding the remove drips and the odd bit of slag. This seems to be a feature of the process than the operator - I've not been successful in finding someone that can do what LR did 50 years ago. Maybe it's a thing of the past, consigned there by H&S and environmental issues.

Now that has prompted a question. Who did the galvanising for land rover factory?  That assumes they did not do it in house.

Tom

Im lead to believe it was Arkinstalls in central Birmingham, where ive just taken mine. Processes, materials and quality have clearly changed over the years  :thud

autorover1

Quote from: 2286 on Aug 04, 2023, 12:24 PMNow that has prompted a question. Who did the galvanising for land rover factory?  That assumes they did not do it in house.
There was also a galvanisers in one of the old factory units  between Kings Norton & Cotteridge , off Melchett Rd. ,that did a lot of the front bumpers . I had some work done there 50 odd yrs ago.

Betsy1969

I had never heard of Yorkshire Spin Galvanising before reading this thread. Turns out they are a 10 min drive from my house. Every day is a school day as they say  :teacher

Regards Andy

Exile

Quote from: Betsy1969 on Aug 05, 2023, 08:56 AMI had never heard of Yorkshire Spin Galvanising before reading this thread. Turns out they are a 10 min drive from my house. Every day is a school day as they say  :teacher

Regards Andy

Are you thinking of taking something there for spin galvanising?

I only ask, as it would be good to get first hand knowledge of this process for Land Rover parts.

Betsy1969

Quote from: Exile on Aug 05, 2023, 12:23 PM
Quote from: Betsy1969 on Aug 05, 2023, 08:56 AMI had never heard of Yorkshire Spin Galvanising before reading this thread. Turns out they are a 10 min drive from my house. Every day is a school day as they say  :teacher

Regards Andy

Are you thinking of taking something there for spin galvanising?

I only ask, as it would be good to get first hand knowledge of this process for Land Rover parts.
No , my cappings might benefit from being re done but getting to that stage is a long way off sadly. But when/if I retire next year then I hope to have more time to devote to my rolling resto