I know that ebay is full of series III's pretending to be II's, but really......

Started by kingkay, Aug 02, 2023, 11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GHOBHW

"Starts runs and drives like a 50 year old landrover ."

well, seeing as it isn't a 50 year old land rover, I'd be extremely worried........

scotty38

Still Wittsend's little helper.....

Peter Holden

I will pass it on to my contact at DVLA, unfortunately they cannot do anything until the new owner tries to register it in their name

Peter

Craig T

Oh dear, that is clearly a 90 and one that isn't in great shape by the sounds of it.
Even claiming it is MOT exempt....

Craig.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Andrew

Illegal to drive anyway, as the tyres extend way beyond the wheel arches.
Andrew

DogDave

Puzzling that DVLA don't want to do anything when notified of these as you would think that is blatant evasion of car tax, surprised that they don't want to pursue the current owner for the unpaid tax

O7BE16

An interesting MOT history.

2007 12,361 miles
2014 12,248 miles = -113 miles 7 years
2022 159,861 miles = 147,613 in 8 years

I would guess it 'became another vehicle' between 2014 and 2022!

scotty38

Still Wittsend's little helper.....

simon1959

These cars make me seethe. DVLA won't act until some poor sap has bought it and registers it (is that right?). eBay presumably couldn't care less. It puts the MoT waiver that we enjoy at risk due to misuse.
 :ranting  ???

Wittsend

... yet the DVLA are happy to pass on your data to private robbery parking companies  :ranting

Peter Holden

I have just done a consultation for DVLA this afternoon - I cant elaborate but when it is sorted I have some questions to ask

Peter

diffwhine

I bet it all ultimately comes down to cost v return and an issue of resources. We see it as a big issue, because it devalues our "brand" and potentially does reputational damage to us and our vehicles. The cost of bringing this sort of vehicle down probably far outweighs the benefit to DVLA. As more and more people play this game and buy such vehicle to get by tax, MOT and ULEZ type charges the more I think it will be increasingly necessary to legislate against it. If we shout too much, we risk ending up like many countries where draconian rules mean absolutely nothing can vary from how the vehicle was originally built. Consider then the implications of not being able to re-chassis a vehicle or change it from a hard top to a soft top for example.

It would be nice if reputable car clubs or garages had a whistleblowing line to a section within DVLA who can red flag a vehicle so that next time it is taxed, the DVLA request the owner to prove certain information about the vehicle to verify its status (or require it to have an MOT). Doesn't help the person who buys it and finds he has to jump through all manner of hoops, but it would at least protect individuals from business sales.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

nathanglasgow