News:

Dance Like a Chicken Day   ... 

Main Menu

OT Rant - The Dartford Toll Crossing!

Started by Crumbly65, Aug 02, 2023, 04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdsnest55

The issue is that they employ a third party, to get the revenue, these pay a percentage to the Goverment towards the initial cost and up keep, the rest goes on wages, tax ect.
So it will take forever to pay of initial bridge cost. All the time people are employed.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

Alan Drover

When I used it I had to pay to get INTO Wales. Getting out was free.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

diffwhine

I think you are correct. My mistake.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Wittsend

I always though it was the other way round: Free to get into Wales, you have to pay to escape  :confused

Beowulf

Quote from: Wittsend on Aug 06, 2023, 10:33 AM.................. Surely the payment of garden waste is a scam. I thought they chipped and composted the waste and sold it on. You can use the waste as a heat source. They should be paying US for the waste.....

Not a scam, just reality here in Fenland District Council territory, where £47 gets your bin emptied every two weeks. Or I could bag it up and take it to the public tip, inconvenient but cheaper.
Just a thought, but are these recycling centres (tips) run by the council or are they independent business's who keep all the money it generates, after giving a commission back to the council ??? 
FDC statement: "Due to Government funding reductions, we introduced a charge from 2017/18 to cover the cost of our garden waste collection service. This meant that customers that use the service fund the cost. No profit is made from the service. More than 20,000 customers subscribed this year".
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

Old Hywel

Quote from: autorover1 on Aug 06, 2023, 01:27 PMDidnt the toll disappear on the Servern Crossing once it was paid for ?
No, it was many years later.

Tolls were westbound.

Alan Drover

Quote from: Wittsend on Aug 06, 2023, 05:33 PMI always though it was the other way round: Free to get into Wales, you have to pay to escape  :confused
No I used it a few times when the toll was active and it was definitely pay to get into Wales unless I took the long route via Gloucester and the A48. The old Severn crossing was the same.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

GlenAnderson

It was the Taymar bridge into Cornwall that was free to cross into the county, but pay to go back to Devon. It used to be 20p, but it's a very long time since I did it.