Dance Like a Chicken Day   ... 

Main Menu

2A Tailgate designs - what is correct?

Started by stevesharpe, Aug 04, 2023, 08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevesharpe

I am trying to make my 1961 tailgate as original as possible
The more photos I look at the more confused I get
Mine has the the top capping and the inside as one piece galvanised (see photos)
I have seen others that are painted with galvanied strips on the inside
Can anyone clarify please?
Thanks
Steve

GHOBHW

the tailgate you have is the later type. the one with the galv strips are the early kind, i think there are 2 types of this kind, 3 bolt and 2 bolt. if i am remembering correctly

Davidss

Quote from: stevesharpe on Aug 04, 2023, 08:20 PMI am trying to make my 1961 tailgate as original as possible
The more photos I look at the more confused I get
Mine has the the top capping and the inside as one piece galvanised (see photos)
I have seen others that are painted with galvanied strips on the inside
Can anyone clarify please?
Thanks
Steve

I am not sure that 'correct' is the most appropriate word here.
The tailboard started life as painted metal with separate galvanised strips.
In heavy use the tailboard became bowed; the metal strips became known as 'bag rippers', because that is what happened when heavy sacks of feed, seed, whatever, were dragged across them.

A galvanised inner plate became available, but the basic tailboard just wasn't strong enough.
The plate changed to include the folded over top. It still bent when hit heavily enough, but was (is) generally OK.
The later plate was, possibly still is, available through the Options list.
Personally, I would not buy one of the 'less strong' versions.

Regards.

nathanglasgow

One piece galv is S3(I think)

Tom

The one you have pictured is a s3 Tailgate with the one piece galvanised inner.

You need the earlier type, and for 1961, it would be the 3 bolt type (hinges are held to the tailgate with 3 bolts on each as opposed to the later 2 bolt type. The earlier ones also had larger 'wedges' on the bottom.corners.

The earlier ones also has much thicker and less cranked eyes, as opposed to the later series 2a versions.

Bear in mind, these early parts are now becoming harder and harder to find, and more and more expensive when you do.

biloxi

I believe that this is an early tailgate. The locking plates may be different too.
.W.

Old Hywel

Rather than the riveted strips being the 'bag rippers' referred to, the culprit was the galv capping, which stood proud of the inner face.
The revised version saw the strips fitted over the now flush capping.

Davidss

Quote from: Old Hywel on Aug 05, 2023, 10:20 AMRather than the riveted strips being the 'bag rippers' referred to, the culprit was the galv capping, which stood proud of the inner face.
The revised version saw the strips fitted over the now flush capping.

Thank you for the correction update.
Regards.