News:

Dance Like a Chicken Day   ... 

Main Menu

Wiring loom

Started by Bigdog, Aug 05, 2023, 09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Stupid question but I will ask anyway,I have a new wiring loom for my 2 and a quarter diesel engine for my series 2a 109, if I had the opportunity of a petrol engine would that mean a whole new wiring loom would be needed, sorry in advance

GHOBHW

it can be modified easily enough, given the time and will for it.

I used a petrol loom on my 2.25 diesel last year, added about 5 extra wires by the end of it, worked perfectly. obviously had a lot of left over wires from petrol only stuff :RHD

Wittsend

No, not at all.

You can add the ignition/coil circuit alongside the diesel loom. The power circuit for the glow plugs would become redundant.

If you look at our wiring diagrams for both diesel and petrol you will see they are very similar.

HERE

You do not need a new loom.

:RHD

Bigdog

Thanks for the replies, I thought I might have had the chance of a petrol engine locally but think it's sold now, I am starting to eventually do up my 109 and while I have my wings off etc doing up my foot wells and door pillars I just thought should I consider changing the engine while it's exposed, I have bought a new complete wiring loom from Autosparks, so my next question is do I just stick with my diesel engine or put another engine in and if so what kind that would also work with my loom, also,does overdrive make a difference, thanks

Wittsend

You can basically fit any engine you like, keeping in line with what alternative engines were fitted "back in the day" - or derivatives there off if you wish to keep your Historic Vehicle status and MoT exemption.

What ever engine you choose your diesel wiring loom can be used, and as I posted, an ignition circuit can be added if you go for a petrol. It matters not if this were a 4 pot, a 6 pot or a V8.

On Land Rovers the overdrive is a mechanically operated device that needs no vehicle power.

:cheers-man

Bigdog

So,I am probably better just keeping my diesel that's in it but maybe look into fitting overdrive or is it not worth fitting, want to keep it as original as possible

GHOBHW

I think an overdrive makes a diesel a bit better to drive on long runs, as the noise isn't as bad on longer drives/roads.

depends on what you're using it for I guess.

not hard to fit and they are made for land rovers, so its period correct and 'original' in its own way.

GlenAnderson

I personally think an overdrive is essential for the 2.25 diesel, particularly in a 109", as it gives the ability to bridge the gap between third and top, as well as giving a higher final drive for more comfortable driving at speed.

g6anz

I suppose the extra noise from an overdrive is irrelevant with a diesel engine
No Worries mate

Bigdog

Would I need to change the gearbox for the overdrive and also thinking about eventually fitting a pto winch, thanks

Wittsend

The gearbox remains in place.
To fit the overdrive you remove the end plate on the gearbox - the PTO plate - and the overdrive simply bolts on with a cog removed and the OD clutch sleeve fitted in its place.

This means if you want a PTO drive you need the dead rare and very expensive bottom PTO drive take-off. This replaces the bottom plate on the transfer box.

:RHD