News:

Dance Like a Chicken Day   ... 

Main Menu

Drivers footwell and pillar replacement

Started by Bigdog, Aug 06, 2023, 12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Hi everyone , i assume I have to remove everything for replacing the drivers side footwell and any advice on how to remove the steering column, I have provisionally got the passenger side in place which I think looks correct

Bigdog

Drivers side , best way to remove steering column or is there away around it

diffwhine

I think you will find that to do the job properly, the column needs to come out. It is possible to work round it, but messes up your access a lot.
If you are not overhauling the steering box, you can separate the ball joint on the drop arm and undo the 3 5/16" long bolts through the steering box support bracket. If you then undo the fixings inside the cabin you can withdraw the entire column and support brackets as one assembly. Its awkward, but possible and saves having to take the drop arm off if you don't have the tools.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Craig T

Just a note if you are not aware of it..

The top of the door pillar you have there is not the outside face of the bulkhead where the hinge bolts to. The top of the door pillars should slide up inside the outer skin and form a second skin inside so it is double thickness to take the weight of the door hanging on it. The level at the top of the barrel curve in the door pillar should be the outside level and there should be a visible weld across there between the pillar and the upper, outer skin.

I have seen people stick the door pillars in without adding the outer skin back on the outside and it throws all the door, wing alignment out, and just looks wrong.

Craig.

Peter Holden

Can I suggest that since you are doing it in situ do one side first, cutting out and welding in new metal then when complete move to the otherside, it will help you maintain some rigidity

Peter