News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Identification please

Started by Bigdog, Aug 06, 2023, 03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

What is this push valve thing for, it's in my drivers footwell on my 2a 109 diesel, thanks

Davidss

It is the dip switch, to change the headlights from high beam to low beam, and back.
It may be rusted solid, and not move.
It may move but not pass electricity.

Regards

Bigdog

It does push down and release freely but won't be able to test it for a while as I am going to change all my wiring, seems a strange place to have it, thanks

diffwhine

Same place throughout the 2 / 2A era. Same on early Minis and I'm sure lots of other vehicles of that era.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Wittsend

Tis the dip switch, you can see the wires going to it.

Yours looks like it's not going to be dipping again ???

It is in fact in a great place place for foot operation.
When back in the day, all dip switches were placed in that sort of position for the left foot.
These days we now have steering column mounted switches, though many drivers don't bother and just leave their lights on main beam all the time  :shakinghead

Bigdog

Perfect, love this forum 👍

martinthefirst

I have always found it satisfying to be able to dip/undip the lights without taking eyes off the road or hand off the wheel.

Beowulf

Quote from: martinthefirst on Aug 06, 2023, 04:27 PMI have always found it satisfying to be able to dip/undip the lights without taking eyes off the road or hand off the wheel.
I agree, safer & probably quicker 
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

diffwhine

Mind you, with sealed beams its akin to blowing out one of two candles...
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Davidss

Quote from: martinthefirst on Aug 06, 2023, 04:27 PMI have always found it satisfying to be able to dip/undip the lights without taking eyes off the road or hand off the wheel.

That statement suggests you haven't tried changing down only to have a car appear round the corner in front of you. Typically when driving through Mid Wales with no external lighting, and on less than the standard bulb power we take for granted nowadays.
You find the need for two left feet.

Regards.

Craig T

The original one in my 1967 vehicle is still working fine, you may get lucky with a clean.

I still have the original sealed beam headlight units in my one too and find I don't need the dip switch, just leave them on full beam all the time and no one seems to flash me coming the other way!

Craig.

GHOBHW

I have the original style lights on my 66 too, the full beam does make a big difference in the pitch black. but compared to some cars these days, full beam is nothing, I can't tell if most modern vehicles with the LED lights are full beam or not, since they blind you either way :thud