It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Pto winch

Started by Bigdog, Aug 06, 2023, 04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Does this look complete as I am thinking about installing a pto winch

Bigdog

Would it be period correct to fit to a series 2a 109, and am I correct in saying if it is fitted I can't have overdrive as well

GHOBHW

yes if fitted you cannot have an overdrive too.

if you want a winch and an overdrive, a capstan is the way to go, as they're ran by the engine crank.

Bigdog

So what do I need to fit capstan winch, what parts would be needed etc

Alan Drover

Apart from the winch you need a drive dog to replace the bottom engine pulley nut.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

So would this be the easier option to fit then I would still have the option if I wanted to fit overdrive at a later date

Alan Drover

Yes. Forgot to mention a hand throttle would be useful with a capstan winch. You might be lucky to find a winch with the drive dog.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

GHOBHW

they're pretty simple to fit, but if buying one make sure it has all the drive gear with it, as thats usually more expensive than the winch, at least for the earlier aeroparts winches

the fairey winches are usually cheaper and parts are a lot cheaper too.

my favourite winch is the GLR101 capstan. those are a bit harder to get these days though, once again the drive bits are the killer

Bigdog

Does this look complete

Birdsnest55

Looks mostly there. The nut is for the crankshaft is there and the drive shaft.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

GHOBHW

I also don't see anything obvious missing, the fairey capstans have the least parts required of all winches, they're very simple

oh and remember, there is a manual for the fairey capstan on the club technical library

Bigdog

What is the going price for one nowadays just so,I have an idea, maybe someone on here might be selling one

GHOBHW

Quote from: Bigdog on Aug 06, 2023, 07:43 PMWhat is the going price for one nowadays just so,I have an idea, maybe someone on here might be selling one

I just saw an aeroparts one on ebay sell for £640, this had zero fittings, just the winch and baseplate. these are the rarer ones though, or more sought after.

looking at sold listings on ebay, fairey winches seem to be going for £650 plus, with fittings

Bigdog

I could get the fairey winch as per my post picture for around £300