It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Long Forgotten Motoring Accessories

Started by Alan Drover, Apr 29, 2024, 10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Hywel

Exile

Probably not quite what the OP intended, but the closest I can get:

If you have - or have seen - an early 1,600cc "square" sump , as fitted to early 80's, you will have noticed a large round blanking plate on the side, and maybe wondered what it was there for.

It was there to take an "oil level" sender. This sent the oil level to a gauge on the dash.  It was a combined gauge so you had to flick a switch to read either oil level, or oil pressure (I think).

It was fitted to Rover cars of the same period, but clearly considered too sophisticated for the basic Land Rover, so never fitted - unless they trialled it with a pre-pro.

It would have made an interesting accessory though.

I have one in a box, as pictured.

Might make a table ornament..... :coffee

PS. @ Autorover, have you seen one fitted anywhere?)

Alan Drover

It's still an accessory from the past Exile.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

DogDave

An oil level gauge would be useful in any vehicle - I wonder why that never caught on unless it's just expense vs the few pence of adding a dipstick to an engine.

diffwhine

Standard fit on modern Land Rovers...
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

diffwhine

We have them on Grenadiers too, so it must be a BMW thing. The only trouble is that you have to have the engine running and hot to check it. Seems counterintuitive to me - I'd prefer to check these things before I start!
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Cold. That'd be what the Smiths Oil Check I keep banging on about does. I've got one running off my transfer-box.

martinthefirst

Quote from: Old Hywel on Apr 29, 2024, 05:35 PM
Quote from: martinthefirst on Apr 29, 2024, 03:24 PMI restored a "Dunlop Giant" foot pump to keep in the LR

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7NAdM6Sace72ChHE9
Is that a RENRUT connector, off a Kismet?

No, its a pukka Dunlop one, see:     Connector

autorover1

Quote from: Exile on Apr 29, 2024, 05:59 PMProbably not quite what the OP intended, but the closest I can get:

If you have - or have seen - an early 1,600cc "square" sump , as fitted to early 80's, you will have noticed a large round blanking plate on the side, and maybe wondered what it was there for.

It was there to take an "oil level" sender. This sent the oil level to a gauge on the dash.  It was a combined gauge so you had to flick a switch to read either oil level, or oil pressure (I think).

It was fitted to Rover cars of the same period, but clearly considered too sophisticated for the basic Land Rover, so never fitted - unless they trialled it with a pre-pro.

It would have made an interesting accessory though.

PS. @ Autorover, have you seen one fitted anywhere?)

It was fitted as you say to the Rover cars of the period. My first 80" I had, was fitted with a 1955 Rover P4 60 2 litre engine and had the float in the sump. You read the oil level on the fuel gauge by holding the button in on the dash that  switched over senders from fuel to oil. Only used with the  engine not running.  The gauges were not damped so you got an instant reading

AlexB

I have, but am in need of another, pair of plastic yellow clip on headlight converters

The elastic on one of the clips has broken and disappeared

Very useful for euroleafing, especially in the 70s !