News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Series 2a Light Weight- correct forum?

Started by Seanlandy, Mar 28, 2024, 08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diffwhine

That's about all mine showed.
Interestingly, it appears as though not all the data about build history was transferred to Gaydon from the factory. I was lucky enough to dig deeper with somebody I knew from my LR days who is sadly no longer on this mortal coil. Through factory records, we were able to extract all the major unit numbers for my December 1968 build Rover 1 and to confirm that the axles and engine were original to the vehicle. Sadly the gearbox had been replaced with a Series 3 box, but thanks to great help on here and through the Club, I was able to source another age appropriate 236 prefix gearbox casing and build it correctly.

With JLR's propensity for ignoring their history these days, I suspect that even those records dug out only a few years ago are probably long gone now.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Seanlandy

Thank you for your eloquent reply. You seem to have been both lucky and determined to have yours as original as possible.  Mine (hopefully to receive this week) already has 300 tdi engine in and has been messed with, so a steady road of replacement lies ahead, albeit I want to try and keep it on the road whilst doing most jobs, starting with a few chassis holes. It already looks like a mosaic sheet of patches but in most cases, seem quite substantial. Bump starts being the first to sort.
As regards the history. Hopefully the previous owner has done some digging too.

chipbury

It's interesting that your chassis number is 10 less than the build number (mine is the same).  I wonder what causes this discrepency?
Mines on an XJW plate as well (307T), Craddocks bought it from the MOD on 05/09/1978 and must of registered it before selling it on.  I did ask if they had any history of the sale but unfortunately not.

Seanlandy

Interesting indeed. Let's see what turns up if I get any paperwork.

Seanlandy

Well after a few diesel woes. ( stood for a while with old jelly like diesel in filter) I actually managed to drive it home. When I say drive. I mean steering correction from kerb to kerb. Now I know from my other Landies, that steering is an art form but.....
Still.  It's home to properly assess. My wife says it's an expensive pile of rust so I need some quick wins. Lol.

diffwhine

So you tacked it home rather than steered it... Well done. Lets see some photos and then at the very least we can provide moral support.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Seanlandy

Actually tacking is exactly right, although a sailing dinghy would have been more predictable with no parked cars.
I will send some more photos later.

Seanlandy

Seanlandy

I went by the chassis number we thought and got a B Card. Not a lot of information, but it's a start.

Space-Kook

Snap! Same contract  :cheers
looks like ours sat together at Ashchurch for a while.
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

Wittsend

My own LWT is 23600805A built on 27th Jan 1969 and dispatched to Ashchurch on 3rd Feb.

Seanlandy

Ah.  Brothers in arms it would seem. They probably drove the same roads and tracks. Quite poetic nesrly 60 years on.

chipbury

Quote from: Wittsend on Apr 08, 2024, 03:07 PMMy own LWT is 23600805A built on 27th Jan 1969 and dispatched to Ashchurch on 3rd Feb.

Interesting, mine was built on the 27th as well, but dispatched on the 5th (chassis 822).