News:

Happy Star Wars Day   ... 

Main Menu

The Worst Car You've Ever Driven.

Started by Alan Drover, Feb 13, 2024, 06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Drover

I didn't realise there was any room in a Smart car for a passenger.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

geoff

Worst car .... the one that had me weld nearly a whole 8 x 4 sheet of steel into its floor pan and door pillars together with a pair of new sills

Oh yes ... it was a Metro !!!!

diffwhine

Having seen a SMART in a fatal accident on the A3 some years ago, I'd only have one for local running about. A friend owns a Brabus one in London as a runabout for his Land Rover business. It goes like stink, costs nothing to run and is perfect for collecting parts, drop offs etc.
they have their place.

My bugbear is that if you don't hold the handbrake properly, you take the skin off your knuckles on the dash.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

GlenAnderson

The most rubbish vehicle I currently own I can't say how it drives as I've not fixed it yet. I suspect it's going to be pretty rubbish.

You cannot view this attachment.

Yes, that is it parked inside an 8'x4' trailer with room to spare.

diffwhine

1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

nathanglasgow

Quote from: geoff on Feb 13, 2024, 09:36 PMWorst car .... the one that had me weld nearly a whole 8 x 4 sheet of steel into its floor pan and door pillars together with a pair of new sills

Oh yes ... it was a Metro !!!!
Same experience. Except it was a Discovery D1 :))  :))  :))

Alan Drover

Quote from: GlenAnderson on Feb 13, 2024, 09:56 PMThe most rubbish vehicle I currently own I can't say how it drives as I've not fixed it yet. I suspect it's going to be pretty rubbish.

You cannot view this attachment.

Yes, that is it parked inside an 8'x4' trailer with room to spare.
Is it a Peel, made on the Isle of Man? 50cc of raw power.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

nathanglasgow

GlenAnderson

Close, but no cigar. 😃

It's a Waaijenberg Canta LX. A Dutch built microcar that, in its home country, fits into a special category of mobility vehicle that can be driven without a license. Out there they are fitted with a 160cc Honda engine and are restricted to 45kph (about 25mph). Back in 2000, three of them were built to "UK spec", with right hand drive. Because we have no category that the Dutch spec cars can take advantage of here, and it's officially "a car", that needs a full license, a bigger 320cc engine capable of pushing them along at a heady 45mph is fitted. As they were dearer than a contemporary VW Polo, the sum total of them sold in the UK was limited to that first three.

My one was registered early 2001, and has only done about 3500 miles and appears to have done all of that by 2011 when the last MoT expired.

Worf

Worst handling car had to be a Volvo 244. Ultra reliable and built like a tank but driving it was a bit like piloting a barge. It always wanted to go in a straight line which is not ideal on twisty Welsh roads. You can see how Volvo drivers got a certain reputation; if you drove one like a pipe puffer they were fine.
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an appen nob'dy 'll notice."

w3526602

Hi,

OT, but slightly connected ... an elderly disabled gentleman took his invalid wheel-chair onto the road between Swansea and Brecon. We were held up by the resulting FATAC chaos.

Does anybody have any knowledge of the current Citroen  battery powered car, which I think is called a BIJOU. I understand it is the cheapest battery powered car on the market, retailing at £8,000. I'm wondering if I should suggest such a vehicle to the CEO of our (she and me) Care Providers, to cruise around visiting their clients. Remember to factor in a short £1,000 for a charger nailed to the front of your house.

I am very happy with my new Hyundai Kona battery powered car, apart from finding the switch-on procedure non-intuitive, but I'll get there. It accelerates like a scalded cat, but so far, I have neither been pursued by a trio of lancers on horse-back, nor "buzzed" by a flying dragon ... as seen on TV.

simonbav

My most unpleasant drive was a borrowed Lada Niva from Swansea to London and back. The clutch was non-existent and thumping the gear stick for all those bloody miles seriously got my goat.
1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Peter Holden

The worst car I have driven was an absolutely knackered ford consul that I was given when I sold my first land rover.

Peter

Craig T

Can't say I've driven too many bad ones, some quite nice ones however. Friend of mine used to own a prestige car sales business and he bought me various jobs over the years, Ferrari's Mercs, Aston's, Etc. The Ferrari 456 was rather nice to drive back to him. Front engine V12 sounded rather nice. Another interesting one was a Renault Clio with a V6 engine behind the seats.

I used to do a lot of traveling in France flying to Geneva airport, hiring a car then driving down into the French Alps from there, all in the name of work. We never got the same hire car twice for some reason! Nicest was a DS4 (Citroen) That was really quite nice. The worst was a VW Golf. I know they are the most seen car in the UK, around here every other car is a bloody Golf but I found it so bland, dull and boring. Swore there and then never to go near another!

Maybe the worst was a Citroen Visa. My sister had one as a first car. Had a weird indicator thing that looked like a coke can and you twisted the top to indicate and twisted other bits to turn the lights on, most odd.

Craig.

Noddy

A powder blue HB Viva other drivers couldn't see it against new granit chippings. I was hit once (second time for the car) and had two near misses. Good for knocking over pheasants they couldn't see it either.

Alec