News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

LW Tilts? How different are they?

Started by Seanlandy, May 05, 2024, 07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seanlandy

Morning all. I trust the sun is shining where you are.
I have been pondering all the lovely photos of series 2s and light weights, often with canvas tilts, I was wondering what the differences are. I have too many other things to sort before throwing several hundred pounds at a new one, so in the short term, will any series one fit my LW (my fam are trying to think of a name) or do I need to look for something specific. The same applies to the hoops etc. I am beginning to think I should have spent more in the first place to have all these things already, but hey ho. We are where we are. Well at lesst the chap in Craddocks seemed quite interested stating he hadn't seen a 2a LW for a while.

Graham Smith

Hi,
Canvass and hoops are all the same size pick bits up as and when you see them.
Just a note military hoods do not have the straps to tie the sides up like civvy hoods.

Space-Kook

All lightweights were fitted with FFR tilts, with flaps on the sides for antenna.
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

gcc130

Would the GS versions have flaps in the tilts even though they weren't fitted for radio?

Seanlandy

There is some near me who has a set of hoops, not the shark teeth or other bracing bits. Canvas is the poly sort not canvas, but as you say, it may be worth it for the hoops alone.

Space-Kook

Yes, all had the FFR tilts even if they were GS.
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

Wittsend

My LWT had the FFR tilt.

My new tilt is just the standard plain tilt.

Interesting door on 38FG18 ^^^

diffwhine

Every day is a learning day. I didn't know this.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Peter Holden

I am enjoying learning too Mark.  Is anyone waiting this down

Peter

Seanlandy

So the photo is of your new one or the FFR one?  It's all new to me.

Wittsend

The picture up there ^^^ is of 39GF93 23600805A (Jan 1969).

The driver's side tilt has the same "FFR extras".

Sadly, that tilt has rotted out and I have brand new tilt ready to fit.

Seanlandy

As yours is the same year as mine, perhaps yours is a good one to set my standard by.