News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

inertia reel belts

Started by sheepman, Jul 26, 2023, 05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheepman

I have an inertia reel seat belt to fix in my 2A truck cab, already bought the brackets from HNJ just wondering if anyone has fitted these belts
and what position the reel was fixed - or a photo would be nice!
Thanks

Birdsnest55

I don't have the answer, but I know that it is different for a 109 and an 88

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

William

I've fitted inertia reels to my 109 and 88 truck cabs. It was easy on the 109 - fitted the reels behind the seats to the proper chassis brackets then fed the belt up through the HNJ brackets. On the 88 I fitted a multi-directional belt to the cab bracket, feeding downwards - works well and been assessed at MOT as secure. Had to cover the reel with high impact foam stuff because I kept banging my head against it off road.

William

Pic for Sheepman (can't work out how to attach a pic to a PM, sorry!)

William

Nor, seemingly, can I attach a pic to a post. Sorry again! PM me your number if you want the pic 🙄

Craig T

Press the reply button below my post in order to post pictures. If you use the quick reply box at the bottom you don't get the attachment tools.

There is a "Click or drag files here to attach them" bar.

Craig.

sheepman

If you send a reply to a PM to someone it does not seem to have the heading to send a file/photo?

Davidss

Quote from: sheepman on Jul 28, 2023, 08:32 PMIf you send a reply to a PM to someone it does not seem to have the heading to send a file/photo?

As I understand it, that is how the PM facility is configured; no attachments is a feature not a fault.

Regards.

William

Cheers Craig, found it - trying again...

Davidss

In my opinion, fixing the belt reel adjacent to someone's head is disastrous.
The high density foam may cushion the impact from a love tap while laning, but in a full side-on impact, or a slight nudge off the tarmac into a ditch, the foam will mitigate nothing.

I know people will say 'if you want to major on secondary safety, don't start with a Series Land Rover', but accepting an out-dated design is one thing, making the design worse is another thing.

That reel positioning is so bad you should have rejected it for your own use, never mind suggested (recommended?) it as a possible solution to anyone else.

I do not own a 88, nor can I ever see that happening, so cannot help you directly, but you must make a better effort to position the reel so that it does not contribute to the dangers to the occupants.

Regards.

The inertia lock off relies on a ball bearing or similar being jolted to stop the remaining free spool of belt being paid out.

I have always believed that the spool must be mounted horizontally and level to make it most effective.

It is worth whilst fitting belt to check the condition of the anchor points.

William

Quote from: Davidss on Jul 29, 2023, 11:30 AMIn my opinion, fixing the belt reel adjacent to someone's head is disastrous.
The high density foam may cushion the impact from a love tap while laning, but in a full side-on impact, or a slight nudge off the tarmac into a ditch, the foam will mitigate nothing.

I know people will say 'if you want to major on secondary safety, don't start with a Series Land Rover', but accepting an out-dated design is one thing, making the design worse is another thing.

That reel positioning is so bad you should have rejected it for your own use, never mind suggested (recommended?) it as a possible solution to anyone else.

I do not own a 88, nor can I ever see that happening, so cannot help you directly, but you must make a better effort to position the reel so that it does not contribute to the dangers to the occupants.

Regards.
To be honest I'd rather a structurally sound mount than the 'outdated' original mount - and it's the way rear belts are mounted on far more modern land rovers...and there are far harder parts of a truck cab much nearer to one's head in an accident...but each to their own.