News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

History disappeared?

Started by Gareth, Jul 28, 2023, 07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth

I just got a memory come up on my computer, 3 years ago I first drove my Series 2a after a restoration. It took me 2 years to do and I was very pleased with the end result.

I sold it on and I know it got sold on again to a chap in Harrogate. He contacted me to compliment me on the restoration.

I'm a nosey parker and whilst looking up the reg on dvla website mot/tax checker, it comes up as does not exist. Why would this happen?

Alan Drover

Maybe a personal registration number has been issued to it.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

ChiefBeard

That'd be one reason, and/or ...stolen or exported? Mine's not on its original plate. Long story with theft, insurers, the plate, and the general mess all that involves.

diffwhine

Likewise, my money is on it having been exported, although a full DVLA check should still show it and with an export marker.

The other less palatable possibility is that it has been stolen or declared a total loss following an accident.

Either way its strange - especially if you only off loaded it relatively recently.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Gareth

Ok thanks. I do hope it's enjoying a happy life in the sun somewhere! It would be a real shame if it had been stolen or smashed up.

Alan Drover

My Series 3 doesn't have its original number either. It has an undated 1963 number and its original number comes up as no trace.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Worf

Most likely the vehicle now has a "cherished" plate and the old number is on retention. Retention numbers don't show up on DVLA search.
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an appen nob'dy 'll notice."