News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Young driver insurance

Started by GDD, May 06, 2024, 02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDD

Trying to get a nearly 19 year old son insurance for a series 2, full clean licence, but policy gone from £600 to £2-4k for second year insurance. Any tips for insurance companies to try? It would be a shame if the youngsters get priced out...

Space-Kook

Admiral quoted me ( 23, learners) for £360, Adrian Flux for £480.
Most classic car insurance companies won't insure anyone under 24, I called about six or seven and the only one who would even give me a number was AF.
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

GDD

Thank you, I'll give Admiral a go. Adrian Flux refused to quote for an 18 year old.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

I'd be surprised if any will quote, if they do it'll be at prices which make it clear they don't want the business. I've seen £23000 for my 18YO. He pays £4500 on his car. This is  low because unlike most his age, he has one year NCB, or did... he's just stuffed it. And come on... we all did.

Suddenly £4500 - from the standpoint of the insurer - is not near enough.

w3526602

Hi.

I oft wonder if a years  (or even two) NCD would be worth paying for a year's insurance premium for a cheap moped ... even if Junior never actually rode it?

diffwhine

The maths probably stacks up on that one. Not something I'd ever considered, but can you use a bike driver history on a car?

Its about to come round and bite me soon as my 17 year old son is keen to get behind the wheel...
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: diffwhine on May 08, 2024, 08:06 AMThe maths probably stacks up on that one.

It does. One year's NCB via moped/motorcycle is exactly how my lad got his. Moped premium was £700ish, and yes - definitely the way to go.
His car premium was only £4500 as a result. I can't quite believe I simply dismiss a mere £4500 as cheap, however compare to not being quoted, or the numbers in the £10-20,000 region, never doubt... it is.

If you do doubt this: Go put your 17YO self into a price-comparison site.

I kid not, prepare to be told to go forth and multiply.

You won't get a driving-test anyway. Usually a 6-7 month wait. The trick there is to leave any major town and city well alone. My boy booked a test 250 miles away. Pendle. Nothing there, therefore you'll get a test fairly quick.

Be minded what I said there: if you fail say twice, it can easily be gone 18 BEFORE you have a licence. Hence Pendle.

I tells you now, we thought we had it hard at that age, that's only one example of how we had it so, so easy. 

Space-Kook

Mr No-Beard isn't exaggerating, there are companies that buy all the driving test slots and then sell them for ludicrous prices.

My parents car insurance wouldn't add a learner as a named driver (2006 Discovery 3, 2003 Defender) so I couldn't practice outside the very expensive lessons.
I gave up learning in 2020 to wait until I was a more palatable age for insurance companies.
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: Space-Kook on May 08, 2024, 01:50 PMthere are companies that buy all the driving test slots and then sell them for ludicrous prices.

Seen that too. £400-500 to jump the queue. And... a premium to get a car to tie in. Usually another £250.

At that age, I took my moped test at 16, my motorcycle at 17, and my car. The moped test at 16 was rather unusual,  the rest hardly news - considered rites-of-passage.

Don't talk to me about my first house at 21. Back then it was priced £18750 - 2 1/4 times my gross salary. That house is worth £420-450,000 today. By that measure, any  21YO needs to earn £180,000 a year for a house. The same job now  pays about £40,000., and if... if a 21YO gets  that job he's done well. Back then it was normal.

Space-Kook, you have my sympathy.