News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Tyres

Started by Bigdog, Oct 23, 2023, 09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Probably a silly question but would these tyres be suitable, I know they say truck or bus but the 7.50 x 16 is correct

Alan Drover

My Goodyear G90's are labelled as light truck tyres. They're 10 ply. What ply rating is that in the photo?
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

I think they are 12 ply rating, would they not be suitable

Birdsnest55

These tyres would probably make a hard ride even harder. Less give in the side walls when you hit a bump.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

diffwhine

Michelin XZY tyres were 12 ply and they were an optional and expensive fit on Land Rover Defenders and similar. They had the added advantage of being regroovable truck tyres, so for overland expedition work, frankly unbeatable in my view. (Yes I do know that you are not allowed to regroove commercial tyres anymore in the EU / UK.) Two trips to the bottom of Africa - no punctures. Then driven to Kathmandu where it stayed for six months before being driven back - still no punctures...

Stolen by some low life in South London five years ago, but probably still going and probably still no punctures!

Tyres are subjective. First of all you pays your money, you get what you pay for. Cheap brands may have softer or harder compounds and poor wear rates. Heavy chunky tread is great for a bit of off road use and looks good, but dangerous in wet or when towing. You need to summarise your anticipated usage and then perhaps people will be better able to guide you on what is most appropriate.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Alan Drover

In the current issue of CLR a brand of tyre called Comforser is mentioned as a cheaper alternative to BF Goodrich etc. As they're Chinese I wouldn't touch them with the proverbial.
I've had good service with G90's and I've found no problems with grip in the wet.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bloke

I may be slightly off, but there seem to be 3 frontrunners when it comes buying new 750 x 16 tyres for a Series these days:

Avon Rangemaster (currently not available to purchase)
I have these on my 88 and have no complaints.

Goodyear G90
My Dad has these on his 109, and likes them.

Michelin XZL
Expensive, but generally regarded as the overall best. I've had no personal experience with them though.

The Goodyear G90 and Michelin XZL are available at Paddocks: (don't forgot your 10% S2C member discount!)

https://www.paddockspares.com/catalog/category/view/s/goodyear-g90/id/5736/

https://www.paddockspares.com/750r16-michelin-xzl-tyre-only.html

Tom
1968 Series 2A 88" 2.25 Petrol (Mine)
1968 Series 2A 109" Station Wagon 2.6 Petrol (My Dad's)

Some times you can get lucky and find g90 and xzl at mod disposal companies, but watch for date stamp and age cracking that can fail mot.

biloxi

Quote from: Bigdog on Oct 23, 2023, 09:51 PMProbably a silly question but would these tyres be suitable, I know they say truck or bus but the 7.50 x 16 is correct
Both these tyres are 7.00x16 12PR. 1 tyre is about 9kg heavier than a 6 PR tyre of the same size
You'd need a very good reason to use these tyres. They are only suitable if you carry a full load over very rough
terrain. The side walls are so tough that without a load I can reduce the pressure to below 10 Psi without noticeably 
changing the foot print. Having said that, I must confess that I'm not familiar with the driving conditions in the British Outback.
.W.

Serious Series

I have a set of Michelin XZL's do not like them in the snow and ice.
Was once following a defender in the snow when he stopped going up hill to engage diff lock causing me to stop ended up being towed up the road.
Just last year I hit a patch of black ice on a bend struggled to get back control eventually pulled up on the entrance road to a pub and calmed my nerves only to find I was still on the black ice. Managed to get back onto the road and the rest of my journey was ok. Will be very wary of road conditions this winter especially low points on roads that have not been gritted.

I had some ancient barum (now owned by continental) on rear of the 109 they had side lugs and were crossplys.  Good on snow and ice but less so in normal road use.

Bigdog

Are these tyres any good and do you think they are worth £330, over half tread left

Bigdog

Alan Drover

What make are they and are they tubed or tubeless? I wouldn't touch them unless I could give them a close inspection first.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

Goodyear, tubeless