Climate change - phooey

Started by Wittsend, Nov 10, 2023, 03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wittsend

Just one road in Costessey
Three mile lane.
Four drains, 3 like the picture  :shakinghead
Only one appears to be operational
Multiply this all over the county, region, and country!
No wonder there are so many floods!

Alan Drover

...and the autumn leaves make it worse. The drains here are cleared very rarely if at all unless there's floodwater on the road.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

island dormy

Over here on the wet coast of Canada the city sends the street sweeper trucks out in the fall to vacuum up the leaves on the paved streets so the drains dont get plugged. But we still get flooded anyway when it really starts raining hard.

Victor
1962 Dormobile in the family since 1964
1969 NADA Dormobile 2.6L #800 out of 811 NADAS built

rustynuts

It's probably left that way as a tribute to Nelson, so he would have felt like he was at sea even when inland.  This tenuously reminds me that I have a Woodforde's Admiral's Reserve homebrew kit to get underway.

Ken

On the subject of climate change. If you were to visit the Hebridean islands you would find many places where there is an old beach around 20 to 30 feet higher than the present one. In the very distant past that was where the sea level was and very probably before man was around.
Down here in Cornwall over by St Just ( the one near lands end) on the coast just a short distance south of cape Cornwall the cliff shows a glacial morain at the edge of the sea. As I recall it's a world heritage site and impressive. So Cornwall was at one time under a mile of ice as it were. Of course it's all down to global warming ! 

Alan Drover

What goes round comes round!
"Ça plane pour moi!"

N

Well obviously global warming is real, and the man-made aspect of it is undeniable. But I'm sure you all know that.

Eve

It all started to go wrong when we moved from the Stone Age into the Iron Age.

Time to get back into our caves, then  :thud

nathanglasgow

There are just simply too many of us and it's unsustainable. In my short life so far(55yrs) the world population has gone from 3.5 billion to 8 billion. Thats a lot of heat generated.

Wittsend

I get that the population has exploded - but surely that means there should be excess people to keep the drains and ditches clear and the rivers dredged ???

The money saved from insurance claims (assuming people were insured) could pay their wages.

Alan Drover

It looks like in Hampshire drain clearing etc is going to be hard hit by spending cuts. Even footpaths and green lanes are being left to get overgrown and there was large clumps of giant hogweed everywhere last summer Fortunately I know what it looks like. I reported it a couple of years ago and nothing was done about it and this year's crop has now seeded.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

DogDave

Same here in the Calder Valley, floods every year and we have had some major ones like 2016 - we can't afford to run the gulley suckers that used to go round and empty all the drains so everything is full of leaves and the wagons stand idle, luckily there is enough money to give all the councillors a pay rise and now we are being told they will increase the number of councillors on the council, all drawing big allowances though every month.

I guess no one could say we have our priorities wrong......

Richard

Quote from: Eve on Nov 10, 2023, 07:41 PMIt all started to go wrong when we moved from the Stone Age into the Iron Age.

Time to get back into our caves, then  :thud
With all those rotten footwells we'd still be able to drive our Rovers :cool
Fred
'64 S2a

Talking of rotten footwells and blocked grids, gritter was out yesterday!

w3526602

Hi,.

If all the floating ice melted, the sea level would go down ... due to something called the "Fishes Lifeline". Water starts to expand again below 4* Centigrade. Unfortunately, it also stats to expand again, when temperature rises above 4* Centigrade.

My Physics teacher demonstated that ice melts under pressure, using something akin to a grocer's cheese cutting wire. But it promptly froze again as soon as it got above the wire. Doh!  Ice skates skim along on top of the thin layer of water that they have just melted. If ice didn't melt, it wouldn't be slippery.

Does that mean that 40ft depth of Polar ice is floating on a thin layer of water.

The 602 solution to drought, is to capture ice bergs. and tow them home. They will melt into pure H2O. How much does a small ice berg weigh? A cubic foot is 6.25 gallons. A gallon of water weighs ten pounds.

Did anybody see that program on TV a few months ago? It reckoned that it wasn't the Titanic, but a sister ship who's hull had been weakened by a fire, and was expected to sink. All passengers were expected to be saved, but ....     Biggest insurance scam ever.