News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

The LR wave? Well... do you? Can you?

Started by NoBeardNoTopKnot, Sep 08, 2023, 11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry S

Quote from: GlenAnderson on Sep 08, 2023, 12:16 PMI also can't actually remember the last time I saw a series Land-Rover in what looked like daily use.

Except for the one on my drive.

Same situation here in Kansas.  Mine is the only one on the road that I'm aware of in my area.  The next closest is a SIII that's about 100 miles away.  We've made a few trips lately; south central Kansas to Oklahoma and then to south eastern Texas; then, south central Kansas, up through Nebraska, over to Iowa and then into South Dakota. All of that is close to being 3 times the length of the UK.  We saw absolutely no Series Rovers nor any of the original Defenders.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Larry S

I wave because just about everyone in town waves at me!   :RHD

Larry

Theshed

OT I know so please feel free to ignore, but the wave brings back recollections of when I was a Courier about 25 years ago.
Most other Couriers would wave and where a good source of info' and directions. Securicor and Parcel Force never waved back ?
Posties where always good for directions though.  :cheers
Ok, and back in the room ! 😁

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: GlenAnderson on Sep 08, 2023, 12:16 PMI also can't actually remember the last time I saw a series Land-Rover in what looked like daily use.

Except for the one on my drive.

That's still the thing I can't grasp. In Kansas an LR was never a common sight. Fair enough. In the UK, Series LRs are not rare. Go to a classic car meet, and like MGBs, Minors, Spitfires, Minis, VW  campers, Mk2 Jags, you're sure to find a Series. Usually several. Not grubby in the right places, you'll never see genuine. Sadly always a bit, or a lot contrived.

I'm a high-miler road user. Pre-COVID I would drive 30-35,000 miles a year. Nearer 10,000 of that, the  short runs in my Series. As GA, I can't remember when I last saw a Series in what looks like daily use.

Thus in not less than 350,000 miles and ten years, (likely quite a bit more) I've not seen one. Not one.

In a 120ish mile radius of London, I don't see any, and I do look. There's no one to wave to? A Series is not rare. Somebody must use theirs; pleeeeze... I beg...somebody?

Beowulf

Not a wave, I'll raise my hand or give a thumbs-up to all Series and the original Defender  :hello   and I`ll do the same when driving my Defender. However, if the approaching Defender looks like a working commercial, I wouldn`t unless they they did so first.

Isn't this why owners & interested nonowners meet up with likeminded people at social events & on this forum, a sense of belonging and of sharing an interest.

There would have been a time when this didn`t happen though, probably when these vehicles were being manufactured and Series LRs were just as common as any nondescript box we see today. 
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

Had a pal with type two, the vw, no worries gesture was common place but seems to have been lost as campers went to glamping scene.

At the end of the day, if someone shares an interest in what you and they are in then a nod costs nowt.

Kev

I never wave at boingies, just leafers.
But... if I'm in a Range Rover, I still wave at leafers, probably does their heads in.🤣

w3526602

Hi,

I think I have already mentioned our late-Majesty asking some Easter visitors if they would like see round  her estate.

They returned from the tour looking very shaken.

It was unlikely that they had ever been driven, previously, by woman, and almost certainly, not by a crazy woman.

Larry S

Came across a RR today. I waved, she saw it, and ignored it.

Beowulf

Quote from: Larry S on Sep 23, 2023, 11:47 PMCame across a RR today. I waved, she saw it, and ignored it.
I expect she was too busy looking down her nose at the time  ;)
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

Larry S

Quote from: Beowulf on Sep 24, 2023, 12:23 PM
Quote from: Larry S on Sep 23, 2023, 11:47 PMCame across a RR today. I waved, she saw it, and ignored it.
I expect she was too busy looking down her nose at the time  ;)

BINGO... she has a reputation around here as a snot, I was trying to be sociable.  Will try again if was pass each other at some point.

There is most likely a pecking order in range rover now their are umpteen incarnations of them.

For some reason I find myself thinking of the cleese, corbett and barker sketch.

Oddjob

diffwhine

Can somebody please stop this world. I think I want to get off...

Are we seriously at a point in our evolution where we are too damn lazy to even lift two fingers, but have to rely on a computer to provide a printed solution?

:thud  :thud  :thud  :thud  :thud  :thud
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

martinthefirst

As I was driving home today in my IIA a gentleman walking towards me smiled and started clapping!!