News:

Dance Like a Chicken Day   ... 

Main Menu

Aluminium corrosion

Started by Boxoftricks, Jul 24, 2023, 06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boxoftricks

Hi,

I've some heavy aluminum corrosion on my seat box.  The worst is being replaced but keen to make is last a few years longer. Where the aluminum and steel meet what's the best thing to use? I'm thinking of tape in-between. I've used paste on threads in the past. Also is it best to clean and then prime/paint the corroded pitted surface?

Thanks

Kernowcam

Duralac is good if you can get it.   Bit toxic but works.

Ken

There's a mastic tape of different widths, used to seal panels on caravans etc. There are a lot available on e bay. I've bought 20 mm wide to use between steel and aluminium on my re build.
While on that subject, they're still doing it. Watching a documentary recently ' how to build a Land Rover ' ( new defender) the steel roof is riveted to the aluminium body sides at body in white stage therefore with nothing between the two. In a double whammy the rivet is tubular and punches through the outer skin, flaring within the inner skin. The resultant finish leaves the rivet invisible from within and being finished flush on the top surface, entirely invisible there, how on earth do you replace a damaged or corroded panel ?