What have you done with your Series 2 in February ?

Started by Wittsend, Feb 01, 2024, 12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonbav

Morning all,

I made a job of my first visor yesterday, tacking a hem in place with superglue before enclosing the visor in the leatherette and gluing it, ostensibly ahead of running it under the sewing machine. However,  the notches I cut to eliminate bunching at the corners isn't the look I'm after.

I've plenty of leatherette left so does anyone have any ideas on achieving a better edge without increasing the corner radius?

TIA.
1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Talullah

In my experience I would not cut the leatherette point of the v on the curve. I would try 8-10mm further away from your required curve as the leatherette stretches and gives as does leather. Play around withe the distance until you get a perfect curve as it is dependant on the radius of the curve. I have also used industrial strength double sided tape which comes in very handy for fixing down material.

simonbav

Thankyou Talullah, I have some tape. I'll give that a go  :tiphat

Talullah

Make sure it is the industrial type as the general stuff is not quite up to it long term....I use this tape: Tesa 4965 High Temperature Adhesive Tape 50mm x 50m. It comes in different widths.

simonbav

Thanks T. I've bought some at 10mm wide which will be ideal

Mike T

Finally finished fitting the seatbelts.

Littlelegs

Spent an hour after work getting the snapped and stuck bolt out of the thermostat housing. A bit of a soak and gentle persuasion with a drift and ball pein hammer got it out eventually without any damage. A small but satisfying job.
1963 Series 2a 88 petrol

BigLee

Had four new tyres fitted. Bit early to say if they are any good. Seemed better on the short journey home. Had Toyo open country AT plus fitted.

Eskvalleyboy

I've been replacing the plywood tub floor I put in when I rebuilt the truck with a proper Ali one and correct crossmembers.

Peter Holden

I cheated when I did mine, I treated the corrosion and repaired the top hat sections then just put an extra skin of aluminium on the top.

Peter

diffwhine

Extracted a 2A ex military engine from my store to send to Malta next week. I've been falling over it for far too long so nice to see it go to a good home. It meant rolling my station wagon out to get access which reminded me yet again to get on with it...
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Gareth

Finished assembling the re-engineered 2.25 petrol engine. Just a few ancillary parts to swap over when I get the old engine out. Bring on the warmer and drier weather!

Just noticed, I need to wire lock the tappet bolts.

diffwhine

Got sidetracked with a seized wiper motor and end up stripping it down completely to save it. All perfectly serviceable so happy days.

Amazing how many components are in an FW2 motor. No wonder they last so long and are as tough as they come.

You cannot view this attachment.

Countryview

Crikey, that is an awful lot of components for such a small unit! Great to see laid out like that as one of mine is sticking a bit so crack I need to do soon as well and is a good reference!
1959 88" Series 2

diffwhine

I need to order a few bits. Gasket from the club shop and a few bits from Emberton. It was seized solid with old grease when I started. I'm supposed to be removing a front timing cover from a 200TDI Defender, but got a bit sidetracked.

Anybody who has removed a TDI front cover with 2 sheared water pump p gasket bolts will know why I decided to do this instead...