What have you done with your Series 2 in February ?

Started by Wittsend, Feb 01, 2024, 12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

island dormy

My 1962 Dormobile still has the original hydraulic brake light switch, still working.
  You can not use silicon brake fluid with hydraulic switches, there is a little note that comes in the package that says not to. They will not work for very long with silicon fluid.

Victor
1962 Dormobile in the family since 1964
1969 NADA Dormobile 2.6L #800 out of 811 NADAS built

Gareth

I think you're right. This is the second time it's been replaced since I got the Land Rover in 1995.

Larry S

Quote from: island dormy on Feb 25, 2024, 05:39 PMMy 1962 Dormobile still has the original hydraulic brake light switch, still working.
  You can not use silicon brake fluid with hydraulic switches, there is a little note that comes in the package that says not to. They will not work for very long with silicon fluid.

Victor

Interesting... I've been using DOT5 since mid 2019 and haven't had any issues with the switch.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

TimV

island dormy

Hi Larry

I use Dot3 or Dot 4 with the amount of brake fluid a 109 uses to successfully bleed the front brakes Id be broke using Dot 5.

A friend over here with a E type uses Silicon fluid and goes through hydraulic switches every couple of years, in the new package with the switch comes the warning not to use silicone fluid.

Maybe your living on borrowed time? Or just lucky? Better check those brake lights before you head out. :cheers-man

Victor

Larry S

Quote from: island dormy on Feb 26, 2024, 05:20 PMHi Larry

I use Dot3 or Dot 4 with the amount of brake fluid a 109 uses to successfully bleed the front brakes Id be broke using Dot 5.

A friend over here with a E type uses Silicon fluid and goes through hydraulic switches every couple of years, in the new package with the switch comes the warning not to use silicone fluid.

Maybe your living on borrowed time? Or just lucky? Better check those brake lights before you head out. :cheers-man

Victor

Hmm...  I'll have to keep an eye out.  I do a systems check every other time I start Grover up.

At this point it would be cheaper to replace the switch than the system.  The entire system was replaced, so I switch to the DOT5 so as not to mess up the paint. From what I understand, once you use one form of brake fluid you can't switch to the other.

Larry S

Quote from: island dormy on Feb 26, 2024, 05:20 PMHi Larry

Victor

Hey... that friend of yours... did he completely replace his brake system with all brand new parts?

I did some quick check online about this and found lots of info.  Yet a guy on the Jalopy Jurnal made this statement:

"I've had silicone brake fluid in my '37 Chevy coupe since 1992 with the pressure switch and have never had a problem with it. I've also used it in several other cars I have and no problems.

When silicone is used, the entire brake system should be rebuilt and hoses, seals, or any other rubber products should be replaced. The steel brake lines should be flushed and cleaned or replaced. If any of the old DOT3 fluid remains in the system, the silicone be contaminated - they're NOT compatible."

I also did a quick check since I'm in the shop today - brake lights are functioning. I will continue checking a bit more regularly though.

simonbav

I added the S3 pedal operated brake light switch after my hydraulic brake switch stopped working. Zero failure.
1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

island dormy

Hi Larry

Yes my buddy rebuilt the complete system everything. I have also heard it is very bad to mix and match silicon and normal brake fluid. I normally hit the brake lights before I open the garage door that shows up red on the door I know they work then.

He has had so many hydraulic brake switch failures he always keeps one in stock. He wants everything  absolutely original I think he even imports bottled air from Briton to put in the tires. If you think some landrover owners have the rivet counter disease in a bad way you have seen nothing till you go to a Jag club concurs event. They take it to a whole new level. Which is fine.

Victor

Larry S

Quote from: island dormy on Feb 26, 2024, 08:08 PMHi Larry

Yes my buddy rebuilt the complete system everything. I have also heard it is very bad to mix and match silicon and normal brake fluid. I normally hit the brake lights before I open the garage door that shows up red on the door I know they work then.

He has had so many hydraulic brake switch failures he always keeps one in stock. He wants everything  absolutely original I think he even imports bottled air from Briton to put in the tires. If you think some landrover owners have the rivet counter disease in a bad way you have seen nothing till you go to a Jag club concurs event. They take it to a whole new level. Which is fine.

Victor

😂🤣😂🤣

I know the type!

TimV

Mike T

Got round to fitting the bench seats after I modified them so the backs will also fold down, si I can fit a Tub tonneau cover in the summer.

Gareth

Fitted the new brake light switch. 30 second job lying under the car.

Be ready to screw the new switch in as soon as the old one is unscrewed. A little bit of fluid dribbles out. I didn't need to bleed the brakes afterwards thankfully.