News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Visiting Wales ?

Started by geoff, Jan 08, 2024, 07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoff

Not a political posting more a case of information

Please be aware that from today the police and other speed enforcement agencies will be as from today 08 - 01 - 24 prosecuting those who exceed the 20 mph speed limit !!

The settling down period  / getting used to the new normal has now ended

Be careful out there as the penalty is a minimum of £100 fine plus 3 licence points unless you get offered a speed awareness course.

Regards to all from a politically neutered Forum member

💕

Blackotter

If you do not live in Wales it is best avoided.

Phil2014

Our local town in south west Scotland has recently gone down to 20mph, yet to see anyone sticking to it, it's almost impossible, spend more time watching the speedo than the road in front of you.
Phil.
Borders area rep.

geoff

20 MPH ...

... coming to a town near you

... or even YOUR town  :'(  :'(

I believe the saying is " enjoy "

Or

" have a nice ( slow ) day  :cool 

Alan Drover

My Series 3 will trickle along at 20 mph in top gear so it doesn't worry me. Modern junk with umpteen speed gearboxes seem incapable of doing it.
However the limit should be applied only to residential roads, not to main thoroughfares.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

geoff

Whatever your " wagon " is just be careful out there, Dripford and Co want your money to

" Make Wales Great Again "

Sound familiar ?? 😇

w3526602

" Make Wales Great Again "

Hi,

It was reputed that the local police visited my milkman, in Wales, to advise him that they were able to turn a blind eye to him driving his small van while falling down drunk. But not his 7 ton cattle truck.

My milkman was a veteran of the Japanese railway, and a "Character of this Parish". Lets just say that the story was believable.

A long time ago (1960s?) it was reported that new speed limits in Germany were causing more accidents, due to bunching.

The 602 solution would be to require all vehicle to carry registration plates on their roofs.

Cameras hung over the road could then be set to photograph any vehicle that passed within (say) 1 second of the previous vehicle. At 30mph, that would require a gap of 44ft (3 car lengths).

OK! OK! the detail needs a bit more thought.

From distant memory, I think the Highway Code says that at 20mph, you need 20ft thinking distance plus 20ft stopping distance. I would argue that you only need 20ft to hit the pedal, after which both cars use the same 20ft stretch of road. At least, I think that's what I think.

Something in the news today, about parking. My favourite whinge is about 6 (six) cars regularly parking on a certain "hammerhead", you know where.

Ken

I'd be very disappointed if I covered 20 feet at 20 mph before hitting the pedal. My guess would be 20 feet to a stop.
I'd like to see the science behind this new low limit, what's the betting there's none.

Mycroft

I visited Wales over Christmas and was the only bugger even trying to keep to 20 as I dropped in on Baldwin 4x4 in Porth. The normally compliant Welsh (see Covid) are not taking this lightly. They should take a page out of the (sparsely reported) German farmers' book.
1964 88" Canvas Top ACR Petrol
1979 88" Truck cab Petrol Series III

Worf

Nobody, apart from tourists seem to bother with the 20mph here, but I dont think I have seen a police car in the area since lockdown.

Coming in to the village speed signs go  from 60 to 30 to 20 to 30 to 20 again in around 300yds, no kidding!

The only bit that needs to be 20 is the first 30 bit (single car width with no street lights). but to do that they would have to add another 30 bit first to slow people from 60 (apparently they have plans to do this everywhere as 60 to 20 is deemed unsafe).

Transport minister is cycling fanatic and FM cant even drive ???

Hey Ho
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an appen nob'dy 'll notice."